So, how early is too early (Noisy Power tools)

Soldato
I think the sunday/bank holiday no work whatsoever seems a bit harsh. A long weekend might be the only time some people will have to do DIY projects.

Edit: ah just re-read your part in brackets. I guess a lot of people complained that with those rules you'd only have a few hours on a weekend to actually do any DIY.

I think that is the case. I work away in the week and only have weekends and bank holidays to do DIY.

Soldato
8am weekdays

9am weekends

If something needs doing you got to do it, I think in Germany or parts of it they have a law on a Sunday, where you can't make much noise with things like power tools, loud music and so on, should have something similar here on a Sunday.

Soldato
8am on weekdays, 9am on Saturdays and 10am on Sundays / Bank Hols.

Although I do get comments from one of my neighbours if I mow the lawn at 10am on a Saturday ... I'm sorry no, that's perfectly reasonable and why should I waste my weekend rather than getting chores over and done early.

Associate
Our previous council has a webpage which has construction noise times on it (used to be for DIY as well but has since changed):

• Monday to Friday - 8am to 6pm
  • Saturday - 9am to 1pm
  • Sunday and Bank Holidays - no work
9am seems reasonable, maybe earlier if it's not all the time but I am usually up and about by then.

I think when it says construction it means more actual builders than home diyers. Restricted hours on weekends seems a tad daft, I would rather they just got a job over a done with sooner so weekends wouldn't really bother me.

Personally I try not to use power tools before about 9am on a morning and not go on past 6 at night, that applies to any day of the week. Now I have a daughter I'm more aware of making noise in the evening, I used to consider it OK to make noise in the evening, but after trying to get my daughter to sleep with power tools running from neighbours in the evening I now wouldn't do the same and I stop about 6. I think exceptions can be made if you are very close to finishing a job, but that would be a rare occurrence.

Dave

Associate
i wouldn't start any diy drilling ect until after 9am, worked on shopfit in a big shopping centre once we were barred from using the big breaker after 9am trading hours, i didn't like those 6am starts :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom