• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So How Powerful Is The iGPU In The 7800X3D?

It's a shame the AMD iGPUs don't have any useful hardware features on them, like the Intel ones. I hope they do something about that in the future.

For example, Intel iGPUs have Quicksync, which is a hardware based video encoder and decoder. They're great for home servers, especially those running Plex or the equivalent, as they handle any type of video playback with minimal load on the CPU itself.

It's a shame the AMD iGPUs don't have any useful hardware features on them, like the Intel ones. I hope they do something about that in the future.

For example, Intel iGPUs have Quicksync, which is a hardware based video encoder and decoder. They're great for home servers, especially those running Plex or the equivalent, as they handle any type of video playback with minimal load on the CPU itself.

Ever APU?

The APUs do, don't they?

The iGPU on Ryzen 7000 is there to do no more than serve a couple of monitors. It plugs the convenience gap for diagnosing dGPU issues and also to be a viable option for ten-a-penny office boxes. AMD aren't wasting resources by loading up a CPU with GPU features nobody uses once a dGPU is installed.

If you want an actually competent GPU in your CPU, APUs had you covered for a while.

The APUs do, don't they?

The iGPU on Ryzen 7000 is there to do no more than serve a couple of monitors. It plugs the convenience gap for diagnosing dGPU issues and also to be a viable option for ten-a-penny office boxes. AMD aren't wasting resources by loading up a CPU with GPU features nobody uses once a dGPU is installed.

If you want an actually competent GPU in your CPU, APUs had you covered for a while.

You're right, the APUs do. They've never really been on my radar, interesting.

Seems its support isn't as widespread and it's not as efficient as Quicksync. Definitely something I'll keep an eye on though.

I've never paid attention to QuickSync because any hardware-based video work I've needed to do has always been on a beefier card. But Intel have pulled a blinder with it for those that use it. It all comes down to use case once again.

Sometimes I'd like to see AMD draw parity to Intel and Nvidia on feature sets for no other reason than to shut up the fanboys who use it in their ******* contests, but if parity draws money and resources away from core developments I think AMD are perfectly fine with their approach.

Doesnt the zen4 igpu have any sort of video decoder in it? It cant do av1 decoding?
Yes it does

"The VCN offers hardware-accelerated AV1 and H.265 decode, as well as hardware-accelerated H.265 encode. Just to clarify, there is hardware AV1 decode support, but no encode, which isn't a big deal at all"

Back
Top Bottom