So I joined the weights room, finaly

Soldato
I just had my induction class at the uni's gym, and I forgot how to do all the exercises :o :p So is there a place on the web where is shows you the basic liftings? I don't want to confuse them!

Soldato
OP
One more thing, the guy who got me through the induction said that I should do 1x10 reps, then 2 the 2nd week and if I feel ok 3 at the 3rd week, but he didn't specify weights. I assume I just put as much as I can till I feel comfortable?

Associate
Well it depends what weights you use, some weights you can do 3 sets. I personally try to do 1 set but with the maximum amount of weight I can manage. I also aim to take 12 seconds to perform the rep. 4 to do it and 8 to return to the starting position (hope that make sense)

Soldato
pyro said:
So, how much time will it take to see some results? Couple of months?

If you eat enough you will see results very quickly. Remember you need to be eating more calories per day than you burn or you wont grow, no matter what you do in the gym. I really can't stress the importance of diet enough. And don't forget to base your routine around the compound lifts ie. Squat, deadlift, bench, rows, chins, pullups. Those are the exercises that will put mass on you... All over. Think of any isolation work (curls, extensions etc.) as nothing but supplemental exercises. Why? Because thats all they are. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah the food issue :p Well at least the whey will help, surely? What the guy there told me to do is first, get the bar, lift it up as much as I can stretch my arms, then down behind my neck. Then bend my knees, curve my back and get the bar from my knees to my torso (hey I can finaly remember them!) then I use a dumbell, lift it up behind my neck then down, some abs with no weights, and finaly while standing up get the bar from my chin down to my legs while keeping it as close to my body as I can.

Oh one more thing, as I try to get a bit better at basketball I try some shots every couple of days, I do 50 from each hand, should I do this before the weights so I am warmed up?

Soldato
pyro said:
Yeah the food issue :p Well at least the whey will help, surely? What the guy there told me to do is first, get the bar, lift it up as much as I can stretch my arms, then down behind my neck. Then bend my knees, curve my back and get the bar from my knees to my torso (hey I can finaly remember them!) then I use a dumbell, lift it up behind my neck then down, some abs with no weights, and finaly while standing up get the bar from my chin down to my legs while keeping it as close to my body as I can.

Hmmm i'm having trouble working out exactly what those exercises you described are lol. :p

It sounds like the first one is a pulldown, and the dumbell one is a tricep extension but I could be way of the mark there. In all seriousness ignore the personal trainer. A lot of them are nothing but salesman. They realise that if they make people work too hard then they wont want to come back to spend more money. The trouble is you don't get results without working hard!

Ditch the machines and hit the free weights. Forget most of the isolation exercises at first and look up the compound lifts. The big three are "Bench press, Squat and Deadlift" Learn these lifts well and concentrate on upping your weights as often as possible. Also look up barbell rows. These exercises will induce muscular hypertrophy (growth) all over your body. Feel free to add in a few sets of bicep curls, tricep extensions, or whatever else each week to work those "beach muscles" a little more but don't do so many that they impact your work on the compound lifts.

The whey will help but you still need to look at your overall calorific intake. Take your bodyweight in lb's and multiplay it by around 18-19 to get a good starting figure for the amount of calories you should be consuming each day.

pyro said:
Oh one more thing, as I try to get a bit better at basketball I try some shots every couple of days, I do 50 from each hand, should I do this before the weights so I am warmed up?

Nothing wrong with that at all mate. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
3550 calories :eek: That's a lot :D Well the gym I go to is from the uni, we don't pay for the weights room (it's all free weights by the way) just for the membership to the university's athletic association, so I don't think he's after my money, I mean he looks like a decent bloke and all.
But there are quite a lot of exercises at exrx, so I can always follow that as well, but should I start with what he told me to do and then move to different lifts?

Soldato
pyro said:
3550 calories :eek: That's a lot :D

Lol well it depends on your goals mate. If you're looking to add a lot of muscle then you need to be eating a lot. Your body will only grow when it has an excess of energy. Energy that would otherwise be stored as fat. Fat gain is usually inevitable while bulking but by eating clean, healthy, whole foods you can minimise this fat gain.

pyro said:
Well the gym I go to is from the uni, we don't pay for the weights room (it's all free weights by the way) just for the membership to the university's athletic association, so I don't think he's after my money, I mean he looks like a decent bloke and all.
But there are quite a lot of exercises at exrx, so I can always follow that as well, but should I start with what he told me to do and then move to different lifts?

Ahh right, I think I was misinterpreting the exercises you described. As for the personal trainer well I can't really comment on him if he isn't your typical type. You get good ones and you get bad ones. But regardless, concentrate on those compound lifts I described and your gains will be far better. Being a Uni gym I would imagine it is full of "noodle arms" doing nothing but curls. These guys will probably give you some funny looks when you load up the bar and start squatting but give it a few months and you will have far exceeded them in both size and strength.

The squat is the king of exercises. Combined with heavy Bench, rows and deadlifts you will be covering all aspects of your physique. Throw in a little isolation work for those "beach muscles" and you're all set. :)

Caporegime
GordyR said:
The squat is the king of exercises.
Quick question - I have knacker all mobility in my hip tensors & abductors (ancient lower back problems & bad posture), which puts deep squats out, and a long back makes deadlifts very awkward - What's the general concensus on leg presses (seated) for my main glute / ham excercise?

I would normally also do single leg squats, single leg calf raises and side / straight lunges.

Soldato
Borris said:
Quick question - I have knacker all mobility in my hip tensors & abductors (ancient lower back problems & bad posture), which puts deep squats out, and a long back makes deadlifts very awkward - What's the general concensus on leg presses (seated) for my main glute / ham excercise?

I would normally also do single leg squats, single leg calf raises and side / straight lunges.

There are a lot of variations on the squat. Some of which you may be able to perform without problems. Not knowing your condition I cant really say but you could try front squats, Box squats, sumo style etc... Maybe give some of these variations a try with very light weights and see how the movement is.

As for the leg press, well it's not all bad but it just isn't a squat. One of the problems with the leg press is it is a little harder on your knees due to the unnatural line of motion. Leg pressing is never as good as squatting but if you cannot squat at all you are left with little alternative.

Having said that lunges are fantastic. Walking farmers lunges with a barbell on your shoulders should help put some serious mass on your glutes/hams/quads. The only problem is you are guaranteed to get some funny looks at the gym. :D

In your situation, if I couldn't squat at all I would probably try heavy lunges combined with some heavy leg presses.

Soldato
Borris said:
Thanks for that :)

One thing though - Is a walking farmer lunge the same as a normal walking lunge, or does it involve fancydress and going ooaarr?

Lmao fancy dress purely optional. The "Oooaaaarr" however is compulsory. :D :p

Back
Top Bottom