So I Just Bought A Slow Cooker!!

Soldato
4.5l capacity.

I want to fire it up this weekend :D

But. I've never used one and don't have/know any slow cooker recipies.

OcUK, I appeal to you. Please can I have some of your favourite recipies please?

Anything will do. Just very eager to use the slow cooker and to know that what I'll be getting will be delicious :)

They're awesome :D Got mine on atm! Doing a turkey and chorizo chili. Sounds a bit odd, but tastes good!

I used it to cook beef meatballs and chorizo the other day, yummmm! No need for a recipe really, you can basically do anything, just chuck it all in and turn it on! That's what I do anyway and it always turns out nice.

French Onion stew is my current fave in my slow cooker.

2 tins of Baxters French Onion soup - Warm it up in a saucepan whilst you prepare the meat & veg.
Cube some steak.
Cube a couple of uncooked baked potatoes.
Slice some carrots & owt else you fancy Turnips/parsnips (Up to you)
Slice an onion up.

Add tattys first then veg then meat then pour the Hot soup over it & put it in the slow cooker for 5-7 hours.
Dumplings are up to you.

As I posted on another thread;

Carolina Pulled pork.

Dry rub a pork shoulder in;

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 handful brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons paprika

Stick it in the slow cooker, then add a mixture of;
Half a cup of tomato ketchup
A generous helping of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 handful brown sugar
Mild chilli flakes
A small amount of hickory liquid smoke, if you can get it.

Leave for minimum 8 hours on low, when done drain the liquid, remove the meat, shred to the fibres with two forks and then readd some of the juices to make it more succulent.

Server in buns with 'slaw.

WIN.

Amen to that brother!
12700f2b.jpg

large gammon joint, 1 big bottle of coke, some star anise, leave joint soaking over night in cold water, next morning put ingredients in the slow cooker. leave all day, 2 hours before you want to eat it, remove it pat it dry, rub some bbq spice mix, or chinese spice, cut some criss crosses into the meat rub it in and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes until all sticky.

take out of the oven....let rest and serve with salad.

One of the best slow cooked meals ever!

rotters

Shoulder of Lamb - cheap as chips and soo good.

Brown the shoulder off in a frying pan first making sure its well browned all over, set aside.

Chop some onions and garlic, carrot and very thinly chop some celery and anything else you have in the fridge, throw it into the frying pan and it will deglaze all the sticky burnt lamb bit from the bottom pan, fry for a few seconds until it lifts all the stuff off. Add a tablespoon of tomato puree and stur, add two tablespoons of plain flour and stur till coated then chuck it all in the slow cooker. Put the lamb on top.

Put a little red wine into the frying pan and cook briskly to cook off the booze, throw that over the lamb then add enough chicken or lamb stock to cover the veg and come up to the base of the joint. Add a bit of rosemary and a couple of bay leaves. Lid on, cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 6-8 hours or until the meat is falling apart.

You can serve it as is but if you wanna posh it up, get the meat out and leave to rest in a warm place, pass the liquid through a sieve and taste it - season - discard the veg. If the liquid is too thin mix a little cornflour with a little water and stick it in to thicken - cook it down a little and there's your gravy.

Serve with whatever you like.

You can do exactly the same with lamb shanks but use a little more liquid so they are at least half submerged.

You can also vary this by using chopped tomatoes, chili, tumeric, curry powder etc for a morrocan type dish

Last edited:
I am doing this very dish this afternoon in mine -

Gordon Ramsey - Red lentil and chorizo stew. (I have modified it a little to make it easier)

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sweet paprika
3 garlic cloves
1 chorizo sausage cut into thick chunks ( i also have used italian sausages)
1 onion finely chopped
2 celery stalks finely chopped
2 red chilli's finely chopped
1 litre chicken stock
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
250 gm red lentils
Handful of chopped coriander

Method

Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add paprika, garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add chorizo, onion, celery, capsicum and cook 2-3 mins until chorizo begins to sizzle.
Bung it in the slow cooker and add the stock, tomatoes and lentils.
Put it on high and simmer for an hour, adding a cup of water if it becomes to thick. Season to taste.
Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with the coriander. Serve immediately.

Tastes better if you let it cool and reheat it the following day.

I am doing this very dish this afternoon in mine -

Gordon Ramsey - Red lentil and chorizo stew.

Sounds pretty good and I have all those ingredients! (Well, brown lentils instead of red). I think I'll give this a go (vaguely; use different amounts/add extra things), but I'm just going to bung everything in the slow cooker as I don't have time to do fry anything (coursework due in midnight!).

As I posted on another thread;

Carolina Pulled pork.

Dry rub a pork shoulder in;

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 handful brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons paprika

Stick it in the slow cooker, then add a mixture of;
Half a cup of tomato ketchup
A generous helping of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 handful brown sugar
Mild chilli flakes
A small amount of hickory liquid smoke, if you can get it.

Leave for minimum 8 hours on low, when done drain the liquid, remove the meat, shred to the fibres with two forks and then readd some of the juices to make it more succulent.

Server in buns with 'slaw.

WIN.

I am about to do this. Skin on or off?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!! :D

So far:

I have chilli in the cooker as we speak. It's my own recipe which I've used for ages but decided that it would be awesome if I used chuck steak with it and slow cooked it for four hours. It'll be a late dinner but hey ho. There'll be lots to freeze as well :)

I now have in the fridge a 1.5kg pork shoulder (boneless) which I've given a dry rub to. I'd have liked to put onion powder in it but couldn't find any :(

It's basically what DcD has said (probably slightly less as the quantities are hard to guage without a tablespoon) but with garlic powder added and smoked sweet paprika substituting one of the paprika tablespoons. It's going to sit in the fridge overnight and then I'm going to cook it low and slow all day and have some pulled pork with the NFL tomorrow night :D

Keep the suggestions coming!

Back
Top Bottom