So im thinking about a new car

Soldato
but ive no idea what I want, nor if I even need one..

Ill be living in sheffield again...I dont technically need one but i havent driven properly in close to 2 years and i want to have a fun car when i get back..

Can you guys suggest some cool and fun cars for me? i quite like the s2000 but i dunno...

I dont even know where to start :o

Soldato
Depends what you want from a car i guess.

S2000 is a cracking car, the engines are bulletproof, and fantastic to drive in the dry. Early ones in the wet can be a bit dodgy, but they underwent changes in 2002, so those ones handle a bit better in the wet.

Only thing to do is test drive one and see if you like it! :)

Whats your budget also?

Soldato
OP
budget is another thing up in the air :o

Im possibly only going to be in the UK for 2 years so half of me is saying just buy a cheap thing then chuck it when i go again...another half of me is saying buy something sensible with a good resale value...the third half of me is saying buy something crazy and sod the money issues.

Soldato
If you don't want to spend a lot get something like an early MX-5. It's get you from A-B, it's reasonably cheap to buy and shouldn't go wrong much being Japanese. Running costs are about average, fun to drive. Also it's lost most of the money it's going to, so if you sold it in a couple of years you wouldn't lose a great deal.

If you're preapared to spend a bit more, then you have a multitude of options open to you. If you're leaving in 2 years and don't want the hassle of selling, something like a 2year PCP might be worth looking into.

Soldato
OP
MX-5 is a no go given my size :o

PCP? Im guessing thats some kind of lease? Can you explain a little more? ^^ cheers

Soldato
Balddog said:
MX-5 is a no go given my size :o

PCP? Im guessing thats some kind of lease? Can you explain a little more? ^^ cheers

I don't want to talk you in to getting finance, as it's not suited to everyone and there are other (better) options of financing a car, BUT if you are leaving in 2 years it could be of interest to you.

It is basically a lease, you pay £xx a month for the contract term (say 2 years) after that period you can just hand the car back.

The amount you pay each month is less than the value over the car. So to give an example:

£12,000 car over 12 months:

A loan or HP would = £1000 a month + interest, whereas a PCP would be something like:

10% Deposit, 12monthly payments of £500. At the end of the 12months you owe ~£5000.

At this point you have 3 basic options:

1) Hand the car back
2) Pay the remaining balance and keep the car
3) Give the car back and get a new one on a similar PCP deal.

Like I said I wouldn't normally recommend finance, let alone a PCP but I thought it might one option available that might interest you. Make sure you think about it very hard before singing anything though, especially as you're not sure what car you want, if you want one at all that is.

Soldato
OP
Cheers...I hadnt thought of leasing..but ill look into it..

Id imagine with leasing I wouldnt be able to touch the car though right?

Back
Top Bottom