1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I've screwed up a little (car tax)

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Kristoph, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Kristoph

Sgarrista

Before we go on, I realise I should have had my things together a bit better than this! I'm a little ashamed/embarrassed.

I bought a car last June, taxed it for a year with the dealer. Around the same time I moved house, set up a re-direct and all is well.

Having always paid monthly prior to this car, and not having received a reminder (by mail or email), I've forgotten to check my tax and let it slip by two months.

Whilst out today I got back to my car to find it was clamped. I've paid the £100 penalty and £160 surety, and I'm now trying to tax it. Next issue is that I'm not 100% sure the V5C ever came through. I've got one more place to search tomorrow but if I don't find it, I'm a bit unsure what my options are.

Is it possible to tax it at the post office tomorrow, without the V5C (V62 & £25)? I've got the V5C/2 still but not sure this is of any use now.

Lastly, if anyone else has made the same mistake before, am I to expect an out of court settlement fine from the DVLA shortly?

2. Matt-Page

Mobster

I did the same as you a year or 2 ago, moved house and forgot to check it. I just phoned the DVLA, paid the outstanding tax and for another year. Some how, I didn't get a fine, even though I was months late.

I'd just phone the DVLA and tax it and see what they say. Best of luck!

3. rebel rebel

Mobster

It must that time of year. I saw a car down my road with a clamp and no tax sticker on yesterday.

You're unlucky really, a few years ago I realised my tax hadn't been paid for 2 months, I called up and they charged me for 1 and let me off for the other.

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

Of late they seem fairly reasonable if you make a positive effort to resolve things - I'd get on the phone to the DVLA as soon as possible.

5. fastwunz

Mobster

Mate of mine drove around for 7 months without realising he car tax had run out after he bought a second hand car - plonker didn’t check the tax - had a proper fright when he eventually realised lol

6. wesimmo

Mobster

Yeah I missed my tax and MOT by a few weeks this year.

Wasn't a problem, I just stuck the car on the drive until I got it sorted and there has been no comeback so far.

7. Joe T

Capodecina

Clearly the car is in your name, so I think you should be able to request a replacement V5 (for a small fee).

8. Kristoph

Sgarrista

Heading to post office to try and pay up now. Have just been informed the clamp won't be released until Monday morning between 8am and 12pm and the car is parked in a Monday-Friday residents only parking space. I'm not able to get out of work and now need to try and stop the council from fining me on Monday!

Safe to say this is one way to learn a lesson.

9. Resident

Wise Guy

I'd have just told them it's fine, I have my own bolt cutters. You've paid. They have no right to continue holding your vehicle.

10. Kristoph

Sgarrista

I can't seem to find any guidance on this online so I've got no idea what my rights are. Council aren't open until Monday morning so I'm stuck in limbo with the parking enforcement issue.
    Tax is now paid and set up a direct debit at post office. Will contact DVLA on Monday to pay arrears and make sure this is the end of it.

11. Resident

Wise Guy

From what I know, clamp must be released within 24hrs of payment. Weekends are no excuse.

12. Nasher

Capodecina

After 24 hours you might be within your right to cut if off. Since it's no longer legit.

13. Kristoph

Sgarrista

Just called and apparently there aren't any rules they're aware of on releasing the clamp. So long as its within a reasonable time. Anything after 10am on a Saturday isn't released until Monday morning.

14. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

Disc cutter.

15. muon

Capodecina

You can't just damage property. What stupid advice.

If you feel you've suffered harm because they have your car clamped beyond what is reasonable, sue them and demonstrate that to a judge.

16. -westy-

Capodecina

Time to chop it off then - either that or report it to the local police, “someone” illegally clamping your car

17. muon

Capodecina

No one has illegally clamped that car, it was clamped legally. What stupid advice.

18. Kristoph

Sgarrista

Wait, you mean I'm going to have to return the disc cutter to toolstation?

I didn't say I'd suffered harm :confused: everything is fine. Just a mild inconvenience :D

19. Nasher

Capodecina

Well if it was me the padlock would be mysteriously going missing and the clamp falling off all by itself. They can't expect people to wait all weekend for them to maybe show up on Monday if they can be arsed.

20. muon

Capodecina

Maybe they should just crush untaxed cars to avoid the hassle.