So much for dealer servicing

Associate
I had so much trouble with Kia in Brixton, I bought my kia from them so thought i would go to them for the service each year, seems also the showroom and service department don't get along with each other.

Soldato
Similar to the time BMW hadn't realised the sump capacity of an LCI 530d had been redcued (by over a litre) and set their machine to fill up the oil with the old sump amount. This caused the car to run on it's own oil, saturated the turbo and exhaust and dumped the bottom end. Whilst on the phone to the dealer, I was asked if I was suggesting that the recent oil service (less than half an hour after collecting the car, it was at the side of the road in oil and smoke) had contributed to the current issue.

"Umm, I'm going to let you rethink that question....."

Cue £7500 of warranty work.

Soldato
I get the opposite from Toyota. They insist on fitting new things and doing everything 100% by the book, even after I just changed them. Took phoning the dealer's HQ to get them to change their mind lol

They have been very good to be fair. They replaced my whole driver's side window and mechanism two months after the warranty expired. They also replaced the fuel pump pro-actively after noticing it was a bit noisy a few months earlier.

Last edited:
Associate
This is where you need a battery operated dash cam - i have an Anker Roav and it bings every time its disturbed. Definitely a deterrent for people trying to mug you off!

Every time mine goes in for a service, i quickly check all the footage soonish afterwards.

Soldato
This is where you need a battery operated dash cam - i have an Anker Roav and it bings every time its disturbed. Definitely a deterrent for people trying to mug you off!

Every time mine goes in for a service, i quickly check all the footage soonish afterwards.

How would that help you check the service items though? The bonnet will be up obscuring the view of the dash cam :p

Soldato
Toyota on my last service realized my battery was below spec voltage and replaced it free of charge.
I told them I changed the cabin filter and they left a brand new boxed one on the passenger footwell for me to keep.

I have the Anker Roav in there so maybe they saw this lol

Soldato
Nearly as bad as mine - remove glove box - remove fuse board - lifts up then drop - remove fuse board bracket - remove four screw if you can get in to them - that is why only two ever get put back - remove cover then squeeze filter up into a ball and pull it out - same for renewal - - If it was left hand drive it's easy from passenger side.
I have had mine serviced every year by the dealer because of the free AA breakdown cover which includes home start- If I shopped around for this and got my service from a local garage there would hardly be any difference in price - If I had cheaper breakdown then you get what you pay for - Wife used it and they were there in 20 min.

On my first new car I marked all things that were being changed with a dab of red paint - as it was Toyota it was all done.

Man of Honour
So the service manager did phone me back, he was very apologetic and instantly offered me a full refund.
Had a good chat with him actually, he said how he first checked the CCTV which shows he went no where near the glove box, he also cant see him changing the fuel filter. He then asked the tech if he had fitted the items charged for and he lied and said yes, only when shown the CCTV did he admit he only did the oil, oil filter and air filter.

So im going to get the lot done again anyway, only £95 for all the parts.
I'd be expecting them to wave that £95 as well.

Don
I'm going to buy the oil, oil filter, pollen filter and fuel filter and get them all changed just incase. The air filter looks brand new but that's easy to change so I'm guessing they just couldn't be bothered with the stuff that takes longer than a couple of minutes.

Was it actually a Major Service they did, or was it a Motorcraft Service? (in which case they change either the air filter or the pollen filter, but not both unless you pay extra)

Ford, doesn't surprise me. This is why you should always ask for the old items back. Even if it means throwing them away yourself.
Heh, Ford. The same company who on the MOT document added an extra digit onto the car mileage. That caused a headache when selling it.
Not had any issues personally, although my approved Ford Service centre is part of a Hyundai dealership (who used to be a Ford dealership years ago)

Soldato
OP
Was it actually a Major Service they did, or was it a Motorcraft Service? (in which case they change either the air filter or the pollen filter, but not both unless you pay extra)

Not had any issues personally, although my approved Ford Service centre is part of a Hyundai dealership (who used to be a Ford dealership years ago)
Major service as in the OP.

Soldato
Had the same issue on a Mk4 Mondeo, the pollen filter is a nightmare to get at so it gets "forgotten" by a lot of servicing places. My car had been service by a local garage dozens of times (240k miles) before I bought it and I immediately noticed that my fan only worked at the highest setting. After a 10 sec Google search I found that a blocked pollen filter was the usual suspect so after several hours of blood, sweat, tears and copious amounts of swearing, I replaced it and the fan worked fine.

My guess was that the blocked filter was the original one from the cars manufacture, thats how many times it'd been missed.

Soldato
I don't know why some manufacturers make it so hard to swap. Parts like this are supposed to be easily accessible. Some of them make other things difficult as well. Like changing headlight bulbs, which your meant to be able to do at the road-side in a few minutes.

On mine you just drop the glove box down, remove a cover and the filter just slides in like a draw. So simple, why can't they all do that?

Associate
Well, I guess they do it so difficult so that the actual dealers will have to deal with them so that they get some more money. *** Business promotion removed *** have had the same problem when you need to change the light bulb as they go bust sometimes but the previous Volvo I owned I had to actually undo 3 screws if I'm not wrong and the screw head was so weird. Likely I had a hand drill with different heads that helped. I couldn't do that with a regular screwdriver! I had to actually remove the headlight completely! A total hassle!

Last edited by a moderator:

Soldato
not in the least bit surprised to hear this, dealers are poor in general.

rough running on a 2l tdci ford chances are the fuel filter has never been changed in its life. their a bas to bleed up afterwards. Mk5 Mondeo oil filters are also a pita. stupid fragile housing buried under all sorts. and don't get me started on a bulb change on a mk5 Mondeo. had a proper swearing session doing mine.

Vivaros on the other hand are a doddle and I can do a service in under 30 mins start to finish including stopping for a cuppa.

Soldato
OP
not in the least bit surprised to hear this, dealers are poor in general.

rough running on a 2l tdci ford chances are the fuel filter has never been changed in its life. their a bas to bleed up afterwards. Mk5 Mondeo oil filters are also a pita. stupid fragile housing buried under all sorts. and don't get me started on a bulb change on a mk5 Mondeo. had a proper swearing session doing mine.

Vivaros on the other hand are a doddle and I can do a service in under 30 mins start to finish including stopping for a cuppa.
Turns out the fuel filter was done, had my friend have a look, oil filter was done as well looked brand new. Doesn't look difficult to do just a standard filter sticking out the bottom like any other car I've had.
Fuel filter looks a doodle as well, few bolts, two pipes and undo the top. Self bleeding as well.

Associate
Had the same issue on a Mk4 Mondeo, the pollen filter is a nightmare to get at so it gets "forgotten" by a lot of servicing places. My car had been service by a local garage dozens of times (240k miles) before I bought it and I immediately noticed that my fan only worked at the highest setting. After a 10 sec Google search I found that a blocked pollen filter was the usual suspect so after several hours of blood, sweat, tears and copious amounts of swearing, I replaced it and the fan worked fine.

My guess was that the blocked filter was the original one from the cars manufacture, thats how many times it'd been missed.

Really? I've changed my mk4 Mondeo pollen filter a couple of times and while it is inconvenient and fiddly, youtube helped me do it in under half an hour. I don't have any notable experience working on cars. I wouldn't have thought it'd take more than 10 mins for a mechanic who does it every day.

The first time I did mine, the date on it indicated it had been changed at the last major service (as did some missing screws...). If dealers aren't changing it, I don't think it's because it's a nightmare but simply because they think they can get away with it.

Soldato
Really? I've changed my mk4 Mondeo pollen filter a couple of times and while it is inconvenient and fiddly, youtube helped me do it in under half an hour. I don't have any notable experience working on cars. I wouldn't have thought it'd take more than 10 mins for a mechanic who does it every day.
That's exactly the issue. Half an hour with YouTube instructions. Looking it up it looks like you have to remove the entire glove box? It's clearly a faff and easy to see why garages would just not bother and try and get away with it.

I changed my pollen filter and it was a 5 minute job without having to watch a YouTube tutorial.

https://youtu.be/_xOl_BRhC8A

Couldn't get much more simple than that.

Associate
That's exactly the issue. Half an hour with YouTube instructions. Looking it up it looks like you have to remove the entire glove box? It's clearly a faff and easy to see why garages would just not bother and try and get away with it.

I changed my pollen filter and it was a 5 minute job without having to watch a YouTube tutorial.

https://youtu.be/_xOl_BRhC8A

Couldn't get much more simple than that.

I totally agree. However "several hours of blood, sweat, tears and copious amounts of swearing" is a bit of an exaggeration. It is a faff, but not so much of one that skipping a <10 min job is remotely excusable.

Back
Top Bottom