So...The boy wants a gaming PC

Associate
Hi Gals and Guys,

Chatting about xmas with my 13 year old and he wants a gaming PC. A long long time ago, in a galaxy similar to this one (pre children, brexit and covid), I built my own PC with a lot of help from this community.

So I would like to have your assistance again!
?
He currently has an i7 laptop that runs most things he likes to play, I am unsure of what games he would play on a gaming PC but presume that with a GPU any game is likey to be better / faster etc. We do not need any peripherals, as he already has them, just a decent rig....

Here's the rub, I'm not really willing to pay more than £650 and have the follwing questions:

Will a gaming PC really be better than his current i7 laptop?
Is the above spend reasonable to get a much better expeirance for him?
I would like the build to be upgradable, would that be a problem?

Could you lasses and lads spec me up and give some brief reasons for your choices. I would very much appreciate it and I am sure the boy would be pleased as punch if he gets a home made PC with good components.

Lastly, we do not have an OS to bolt on and wonder at that cost in addition to the build. He's a student so maybe we could get it cheap....

Thank you for any response.

Ant.

Associate
OP
Thanks Quartz,

He has an Xbox but is intersted in computers generally. He's doing a lot of designing on certain software for 3D printers at the moment, which I hope will be good for his future and why I think an upgrade, with him helping to build, might be good. His laptop is a Levono ideapad 520s.

You might me well be right, I am not wedded to this, and I have seen that the issues surrounding semi-conductors / chips are inflating prices at the moment, I'd still like a prospective build as long as it is not too pricey. Your feed back on the laptop would have course also be of interest.

Thanks for your response :)

Associate
OP
Thanks Cadder.

His laptop is good in general terms. Perhaps I should reframe my original questions to say, how much would it cost for a reaponable gaming laptop at today's prices. I can perhaps afford it, just trying to find out if it is worth it. Thanks for your response - you guys are awesome.

Associate
OP
thanks Throwaway. I kind of agree with the "your not getting it" - I am originally form Yorkshire...You know what that means? A Yorkshireman is very like a Scostman, just with all the generosity squeezed out of him.

I'd still like a spec from you guys even if we don't take it up....

Associate
OP
GreatAwk - thanks so much. I agree we have to think carefully whether to go for it but appreciate the input and the reasons for it. I do suppose it comes down to whether he will be happy with that kind of spec for a few years - or as others have suggested, that he should be denied an upgrade and stick to a console + his i7 laptop. It is an interesting question and my only problem is I have not, in my mind, come to a conclusion of what may be best.

Fully appeciating all your answers which are helping to coalese my final decision.

On the other hand, what do I gert him for xmas if not this. ha ha.

Associate
OP
Thanks so much Haz - If the case is garbage, I am sure that could be upgraded for not too much more cash. 13 yo boys like the bling I imagine, so making it look good on the outside is just an important as the compnents on the inside, at that age at least.

Seems to me that I will be the one getting socks.

Associate
OP
Has your son got any money of his own he could put towards it ?

Yes he has a load of cash in an ISA, I'm just not willing to spend it on this. Hoping he will eventually be able ot pay for a house deposit when he is in his 20's. I will pay for the PC and the buget is flexible. However, his older sister will be hacked off if he gets substantially more than her at xmas, in monetary terms. I however really like PC's so I am keen to indulge him.

I'll have to make sure she is similarly rewarded, hence the budget.

Associate
OP
The usual suspects...bay, gum tree, FB. Ofc you'll need to be on the watch for scams etc.
Shame you don't have members market access. Could definitely do a very reasonable gtx 1070 or even a gtx 1080 build on that kind of budget.
The best would be to nab a new 3060ti FE and build around it. Doable for £650. Ofc you'll have to be quick when stocks drop (goes within minutes).

what's members market access? I suppose a reward for being a good OC buyer?

Associate
OP
Yes you can easily choose any case within your budget that you like the look of.

I was just checking out the igpu performance of the AMD 5600G and its not great. It is around half the fps of a 1060 6gb and thats over 4 year old gpu. If you can pick up a second hand 1050ti/1060 or better gpu for a sensible price you can easily build a pc for your needs but getting that gpu is the problem. Only readibly available new gpu is 6600xt and thats over £400 so it eats all your budget and not an option.

This does seem to be an issue at the moment. Maybe I can build something with a reasonable "cheap" GPU for a 13 yo and then upgrade when things return to normal?

Associate
OP
The usual suspects...bay, gum tree, FB. Ofc you'll need to be on the watch for scams etc.
Shame you don't have members market access. Could definitely do a very reasonable gtx 1070 or even a gtx 1080 build on that kind of budget.
The best would be to nab a new 3060ti FE and build around it. Doable for £650. Ofc you'll have to be quick when stocks drop (goes within minutes).

I don't know what a 3060ti FE is. But I'm going to look it up. Many thanks.

Associate
OP
Ok the best thing to do is install Telegram and join FE partalert.

This will send a message to your phone when these cards come in stock. If you can get a 3060 or 3060ti for MSRP then you will get a far better gaming experience than any of the pcs suggested so far.

When they come into stock you have about 2 minutes to get a card. They are that highly sought after. Do not buy anything else until you get a GPU and once you do buy the rest.

Thans for that - I will do sign up. Jesus - the things we do for our kids.

Associate
OP
Can't believe it is this difficult at the moment to get a card. Taken on all your advice, which is much appreciaed and will go for it. Will report back upon success (or faliure).

To Say Again - you lot are awesome and deserve medals for helping out us mere less techy mortals. Cheers.

Associate
OP
The suggested GPU also appears to be £600. Might be a bit beyond my original post of trying to get the boy a gaming system for sub £700. Maybe I need to look as the refurbished market eh. Or just buy him some socks. :)

Associate
OP
So...still looking to build the boy a gaming PC. I think we can now stretch to around £550.

Sorry to ask again....Could one of you gents or ladies spec me up around that price +/- £50 to buy before xmas and allow the build to go ahead. My son and daughter would both like to build the PC, so it wuold be a family event (not sure if this is a good idea or not lol)...daughter even wants to do A level computer science next year so hopefully this would be a good learning experience. To recap, I beleive my son only needs a fairly robust computer which is future proof, with a reasonable GPU installed. He is not a hardcore gamer requiring huge fps.

Grateful for your baskets so I can decide and buy before the turkeys, fuel, chips, etc run out. Cheers guys and girls.

Back
Top Bottom