So...The boy wants a gaming PC

Associate
OP
The usual suspects...bay, gum tree, FB. Ofc you'll need to be on the watch for scams etc.
Shame you don't have members market access. Could definitely do a very reasonable gtx 1070 or even a gtx 1080 build on that kind of budget.
The best would be to nab a new 3060ti FE and build around it. Doable for £650. Ofc you'll have to be quick when stocks drop (goes within minutes).

what's members market access? I suppose a reward for being a good OC buyer?

Associate
OP
Yes you can easily choose any case within your budget that you like the look of.

I was just checking out the igpu performance of the AMD 5600G and its not great. It is around half the fps of a 1060 6gb and thats over 4 year old gpu. If you can pick up a second hand 1050ti/1060 or better gpu for a sensible price you can easily build a pc for your needs but getting that gpu is the problem. Only readibly available new gpu is 6600xt and thats over £400 so it eats all your budget and not an option.

This does seem to be an issue at the moment. Maybe I can build something with a reasonable "cheap" GPU for a 13 yo and then upgrade when things return to normal?

Man of Honour
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £358.86 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

As there's quite a few b-grade items, would be worth posting in the pre-sales forum to ask for a better price. I think £340 would be a reasonable ask.
Then bung in a 3060ti and boom. Mid-high end gaming pc sorted.

Associate
OP
The usual suspects...bay, gum tree, FB. Ofc you'll need to be on the watch for scams etc.
Shame you don't have members market access. Could definitely do a very reasonable gtx 1070 or even a gtx 1080 build on that kind of budget.
The best would be to nab a new 3060ti FE and build around it. Doable for £650. Ofc you'll have to be quick when stocks drop (goes within minutes).

I don't know what a 3060ti FE is. But I'm going to look it up. Many thanks.

Associate
Ok the best thing to do is install Telegram and join FE partalert.

This will send a message to your phone when these cards come in stock. If you can get a 3060 or 3060ti for MSRP then you will get a far better gaming experience than any of the pcs suggested so far.

When they come into stock you have about 2 minutes to get a card. They are that highly sought after. Do not buy anything else until you get a GPU and once you do buy the rest.

Associate
OP
Ok the best thing to do is install Telegram and join FE partalert.

This will send a message to your phone when these cards come in stock. If you can get a 3060 or 3060ti for MSRP then you will get a far better gaming experience than any of the pcs suggested so far.

When they come into stock you have about 2 minutes to get a card. They are that highly sought after. Do not buy anything else until you get a GPU and once you do buy the rest.

Thans for that - I will do sign up. Jesus - the things we do for our kids.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
A 3060ti would be a fantastic combination with the above build that I put together :)
Should be at budget or thereabouts (+/- £50)

Associate
I tried to get a 3000 series card for about a month and failed. Saw a 6800 come into stock so got that instead.

You have to be quick and lucky to get an FE card ( founders edition direct from Nvidia) but it can be done and you have a few months till Xmas.

Associate
OP
Can't believe it is this difficult at the moment to get a card. Taken on all your advice, which is much appreciaed and will go for it. Will report back upon success (or faliure).

To Say Again - you lot are awesome and deserve medals for helping out us mere less techy mortals. Cheers.

Man of Honour
I'd normally agree and say that one should get the graphics card first...but that 10400F is such a stonking good price it would be silly not to get it first.

Associate
OP
The suggested GPU also appears to be £600. Might be a bit beyond my original post of trying to get the boy a gaming system for sub £700. Maybe I need to look as the refurbished market eh. Or just buy him some socks. :)

Associate
The suggested GPU also appears to be £600.

No the 3060 FE that is the best option is £330 or so but you can only buy it directly from Nvidia through their UK sellers and it sells out very quickly. We cannot link to their store because it is an ocuk competitor.

Edit - 3060 FE is not even on NVs website anymore, looks like it is discontinued. That makes 3060ti lowest cost for £369. Great card for that price if you can get one.

Last edited:
Associate
No the 3060 FE that is the best option is £330 or so but you can only buy it directly from Nvidia through their UK sellers and it sells out very quickly. We cannot link to their store because it is an ocuk competitor.

Edit - 3060 FE is not even on NVs website anymore, looks like it is discontinued. That makes 3060ti lowest cost for £369. Great card for that price if you can get one.
yup, 3060 been discontinued, 3060ti cheapest entry point for FE cards now....amazing!! day before drop on 23rd there where no 3070tife on auction site, today, 49 listed

Back
Top Bottom