So.......The SPL Begins *Spoilers*

Soldato
I see in the times St Mirren are trying to block Gretnas progress to SPL now over garuntees to build a stadium to meet required standard 6000 seater. They say if they haven't got Build contracts in place they should not be allowed up as St Mirren were forced to pay 200000 on under soil heating as they didn't have build contracts in place for their new stadium.

Could be interesting. Esp as St Mirren aint even being relegated this year.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Some speculation from today's rags.

Celtic close in on Brown transfer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/6653201.stm
and the slightly more fantastical...
Football: Old Firm in race to sign Fowler
EXCLUSIVE HE EYES MOVE TO SPL Related Topics
Sports

CELTIC and Rangers are set to fight it out to sign Liverpool hero Robbie Fowler.
The England striker becomes a free agent after the Champions' League final, with Liverpool declining the option to take up an extra year on the player's contract.
And of all the interest shown by clubs since it was announced he would be leaving Anfield, it is the Old Firm who have been the most serious in their intent.
He would be seriously interested in a move north of the border, where he has strong friends and family ties, and he is ready to listen to both clubs as he looks to continue his career at the highest level.
FULL STORY: PAGE 53
© 2007 Mirror Group Ltd
Mirror

Last edited:
Soldato
Olot of money for Brown but he's not a bad player. Time will tell if he turns his back on the club he loves for the sign of the £ :D

As for fowler no surprise there either.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Apparently the reports from Thomson to Brown were less than complimentary about the set up at Murray Park/Ibrox. Thomson has allegedly warned Brown to put his career first and not some daft boyhood allegiances. Sound advice imo.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
For sure, but Celtic can offer him the best career, not the same thing as the best pay check.

Reading can afford to pay him more than us, but is theirs a name footballers aspire to have on their cv?

Tru

Tru

Soldato
McMav said:
I mean Celtic offered Riorden a great career aswell didnt they??
We certainly did, and he's well down the road to having one. A young player like Derek can't expect to swan in to the first team at a club of our stature, especially not with the competition the way it is. He's been told to wait his turn and take his chances when he gets them, which he's done. I bet he'd love to have played 40 games this season but I've not heard him complaining.

Soldato
Yes I'm sure he's been loving going from regular game every week to sitting on the bench if lucky. After been quoted by his manager as being the most naturally gifted goal scorer he has but never plays him. Bet he's really loving it.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
LOL, I'm sure he's liking it more than being sent out to Cowdenbeath on loan.

The fact is he wouldn't have come to Celtic if he wanted to be guaranteed a starting place, he would have tried one of the other umpteen clubs chasing his signature. Playing 11 games in your first season for Scotland's dominant club is better than playing 40 games for some second rate also-rans, and I include Rangers in that.

Soldato
I'll believe the Brown deal when i see it. I'm taking much of what i'm reading with a lump of salt. Given the rag that slapped this story all over it's back pages track record for scoop's. The BBC just seem to be using that back page as the basis of their story.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Aye, the Beeb never used to use qualifiers like "The BBC understands", or "It's been reported", in their stories but they chuck it in all the time now, it's a shame they've gone down the same road as the 2-bit footie websites.

edit: who broke it, the Record?

Soldato
Tru said:
Aye, the Beeb never used to use qualifiers like "The BBC understands", or "It's been reported", in their stories but they chuck it in all the time now, it's a shame they've gone down the same road as the 2-bit footie websites.

edit: who broke it, the Record?

aye it's slapped all over their back page. £4.4 million deal with Brown on 25k a week. The wages alone sound BS ;)

Soldato
why boycott them. great tv section on a Saturday.

They have pulled whole story from website now. It is however plastered all over the paper and is all over The Evening Times aswell.

4.5 Million transfer fee with 1 million extra in addons. Probs appearances

and a Deal worth 25k a week + bonuses over 5 years to take whole deal to 12 million.

He's a good player but is he a 12 million pound player? Cant be any worse that Flo though.

Heres story from Times

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.1398762.0.0.php

Tru

Tru

Soldato
LOL, I see, in the absence of any facts, that the paper has gone for the sensational "12M ZOMG". How they arrive at that figure I'll never know.

I've no idea if the transfer fee is accurate but there is absolutely no chance he'll get 25K at Celtic, what will he be on just now, 3? maybe 4K? If he's after that kind of money, he wont get it in Scotland.

Back
Top Bottom