So the test driving begins - TT RS!

OcUK Staff
OP
On a motorway run, driving at sensible motorway speeds and trying to be frugal I see 24MPG at best. Now we are talking V8 v 5 cylinder but I would be amazed if the car got close to 35mpg on such a run let alone anything close to 45mpg. My M3's managed 24.3 over their lifetime with 6 cylinders, I'd expect a TT-RS to be in the high 20's

Can I just say I don't buy a car based on economy, but I was merely pointing out its quite a nice bonus that a car with such performance levels can also give some very impressive MPG figures. :)

The TT RS on a motorway run will be high 30's mate, I mean I can see 30MPG in the EVO on a motorway run and its got several things against it, first one is its engine is not as efficient as the Audi one and secondly the Audi has a much taller 6th gear than my 5th gear. Lastly its nearly 150kg lighter.

So based on more efficient engine, better gearing, lighter car and the fact I've driven one and read up as much as I can I think a lot would be surprised and find it can indeed return circa 40MPG on a motorway run. Would I buy it because of this well no, but I was just pointing out for the performance on offer Audi's 2.5l engine seems the best 5 cylinder on the market at the moment. :)

Soldato
No I am not buying a TT RS. :)

But at the same time I can appreciate a good car, its just not the car for me. :)

Completely understand. And everyone saying your wrong with those MPG figures clearly has never even been near or inside one let alone driven one.

A mate I know who has one is the main reason I suggested it in the other thread and got slated for it by many people here.

He's going a bit mental with it though and personally I would have preferred to keep it stock but there you go.

:)

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

He's going for 600hp and 1200kg...it's going to be out of this world. :cool: :eek: :D
1ac602f0.jpg

Soldato
Completely understand. And everyone saying your wrong with those MPG figures clearly has never even been near or inside one let alone driven one.

Dude i design cars that dont yet exist, so im not sure why you are claiming that one needs to have to sat in a car to have a reasoned opinion on a doubtful claim? Ill pop down the Audi show room and come back tomorrow after reading the brochure, that ok?

Soldato
Dude i design cars that dont yet exist, so im not sure why you are claiming that one needs to have to sat in a car to have a reasoned opinion on a doubtful claim? Ill pop down the Audi show room and come back tomorrow after reading the brochure, that ok?

Since when has brochures been completely and utterly accurate?

While I agree 45mpg is pushing it, top half of the 30s is certainly do able.

OcUK Staff
OP
Why the doubters?

The TT RS will easily manage plus 40MPG at motorway speeds. It managed it quite easily on my test drive when cruising in top gear.

Even Audi themselves state the following:-
Audi TT RS S-tronic (manual expect 1-2 less I think)

Urban 23.0
Extra Urban 44.8
Combined 33.2

Owners themselves cruising down motorway have seen mid 40's, so why so many doubters? I drove the car and I was seriously surprised.

Mitsubishi claim extra urban for my car is 26.9MPG, I've seen 32MPG on a motorway run, and Audi claim 44.8 for their extra urban and I saw mid 40's on the trip computer when cruising on light throttle in top gear. The car can achieve it. :)

Man of Honour
I don't question it can, I question that it will. I can get 30.1 MPG on my RS4........at 50mph in 6th downhill but it gets boring :D. I think across the range when used normally high 20's are what you'll see. We can all get silly MPG when we try, reality is that day to day it will return 20's perhaps 30's and that is the guide really I feel. 24.3 on my M3's for example is what 2 of them averaged over 100K miles, so that was their REAL fuel consumption. Most of the time (and rightly so) you'll be opening the taps and enjoying it and that will put to bed the few instances when she shows 30's-40's on a run I think.

Anyway, sack this and go drive the 911, proper thing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't question it can, I question that it will. I can get 30.1 MPG on my RS4........at 50mph in 6th downhill but it gets boring :D. I think across the range when used normally high 20's are what you'll see. We can all get silly MPG when we try, reality is that day to day it will return 20's perhaps 30's and that is the guide really I feel. 24.3 on my M3's for example is what 2 of them averaged over 100K miles, so that was their REAL fuel consumption. Most of the time (and rightly so) you'll be opening the taps and enjoying it and that will put to bed the few instances when she shows 30's-40's on a run I think.

Anyway, sack this and go drive the 911, proper thing.

i dont think hes talking about across the range.

He's talking about specifically sat at 65/70 mph on cruise.

Caporegime
His point was that he is going to get comparably better mpg on said 65/70 mph cruise than with his evo.

His point just got lost in a load of other stuff i think :)

As you say, extra urban isn't sat at 65mph on cruise.

Back
Top Bottom