*** 4K Player Thread ***

Associate
I'm waiting for the prices to sort themselves out, so I'll probably hold off until late this year/next year as I don't even have a 4k TV yet (I was waiting until a 4k format was decided on), and I'll also have to replace my AV amp as that isn't 4k compatible. With the TV I'm also waiting for the OLED prices to drop a bit - even then I can see myself spending £2-3k+ on this setup.

Soldato
This is why im confused for a ps4k, £600 for a standalone, how can a console be so much cheaper if it does the same job. I would like to know why they are so expensive tho.

Soldato
This is why im confused for a ps4k, £600 for a standalone, how can a console be so much cheaper if it does the same job. I would like to know why they are so expensive tho.

PS4.5 4k bitstream - 101100110101010011101001
Panasonic dedicated 4k player - 101100110101010011101001

as you can clearly see, the panasonic has much better quality bits

Associate
No point at the moment, at least half the released discs so far were mastered from a 2k source (and sometimes filmed at 2k, in the case of Mad Max)

2.8k image capture system saved at 2k, whether they externally saved the 2.8k is another matter

I think hdr will make the biggest difference not whether original was 4k or 2k

My £80 Sony Blu-ray player (BDP-6500) does 4k upscaling which is the exact same thing.
but what upscales the best tv or br player, or is there no discernible difference

Soldato
Panny UB900 having issues with sound dropout when sending output to an AV amp, as being discussed (amongst other things) in the thread about the player at AV Forums. We experienced this with San Andreas it was constant and we had to downgrade to watching through the TV speakers. Seems likely there is going to be a huge bunfight to resolve whether it's a hardware fault (ergo unlikely to get fixed), firmware issue, coding issue on the Atmos discs (which are the ones having the problem) or a random handshake problem between the players and amps.

Man of Honour
Panny UB900 having issues with sound dropout when sending output to an AV amp, as being discussed (amongst other things) in the thread about the player at AV Forums. We experienced this with San Andreas it was constant and we had to downgrade to watching through the TV speakers. Seems likely there is going to be a huge bunfight to resolve whether it's a hardware fault (ergo unlikely to get fixed), firmware issue, coding issue on the Atmos discs (which are the ones having the problem) or a random handshake problem between the players and amps.

Being discussed here:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/pa...ray-player-announced-at-ces16.2017506/page-89

https://www.avforums.com/threads/pa...ltra-hd-blu-ray-player-review.2023929/page-23

Editors have informed Panasonic and are waiting for a response.

Soldato
The price of those things remind me of how much I payed for my DVD player when I first bought one from SuperFi, and then needed to pay an additional £50 for it to be chipped for region 1 playback as I used to import my DVD's. I imported them not just for the extra content but at the time they couldn't be sourced in the UK.

Scary watching how much they dropped in price over time, same will happen with these, unless something else succeeds them earlier.

Back
Top Bottom