So these Dacia adverts I've been hearing so much...

Soldato
It's weird how we pronounce some brands as an Englishism and others not. It's no surprise though that the French companies use the original pronouncian, they are very protective of their language. Hence Renault (Reno) not Ren-oult, Peugeot and even Citroen are even trying to change the way we pronounce it here.

The Germans don't use 'Fow Vee' (VW), 'Mertseedeez' or 'Bee Em Vee' (BMW) here, they don't seem to care.

Soldato
You realise that's a myth right? They only called it 'nova' in the UK and they got shipped as 'corsa' from day1... Tbh I'm still amazed at the waste of money over at GM rebranding opel vauxhall in just one market :rolleyes:

Brand recognition and loyalty will more than make up for any costs incurred in having multiple brands operating.

Caporegime
Vorsprung durch technik.

Says it all really. I think the guy on the Audi ads on the radio sounds like such a plonker when he says a German slogan in English.

Soldato
Because it is "new" and has all the protection that a new car with a 5 year manufacturer warranty offers. The fact that they are ridiculously cheap for the base spec models obviously helps.

Some people just want "no fuss" motoring, and the perception is that a new car with warranty provides that. Same reason Kia with 7 year warranties seem to sell reasonably well.

But you can by a 1 year old Kia or Hyundia, get a better car for the same price AND still have 6 years warranty left.

Man of Honour
I always thought it was called "Da-Chah" because that's how Finchy off of The Office pronounced it in the adverts they did years ago....

Regarding why people buy them, not only are they cheap but they also have a low amount of depreciation relative to the age of vehicle. That said, I think for people who want a brand new warrantied car to run for a few years at low cost that shopping around for good lease deals may be just as good an option these days.

Soldato
I love how you can configure and buy a brand new Dacia on their website. Yes, buy it, online.

The website looks like it's been designed and hosted on Yahoo GeoCities.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pretty sure they're pronouncing it that way because that's how it's pronounced

They are horrible though, I had a prod in some at the Geneva motor show (killing time before my flight home) and even the ones they had opted to present to the world as the best they had to offer were miserable tinny boxes of poo. But people like cheap cars, they always will

Soldato
An old friend of mine's dad used to work at the Peugeot factory that is warehouses now, he would insist that it's pronounced Pudge-jot and would correct people, very odd.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure they're pronouncing it that way because that's how it's pronounced

They are horrible though, I had a prod in some at the Geneva motor show (killing time before my flight home) and even the ones they had opted to present to the world as the best they had to offer were miserable tinny boxes of poo. But people like cheap cars, they always will

Couldn't agree more. Why suffer the depreciation on a new car when there are millions of nearly new cars that are infinitely better.

Any Kudos to having a new car is outweighed by it having an ugly POS on the drive :D

Back
Top Bottom