So tonight i was greeted by...

Soldato
...A guy off the estate i live on, an old lady and the police.

Rather tired as i've just finished a set of nights, but i've been out for a drink tonight (coke ill add... and J20 ;)) and came home, reversed the car onto the drive, locked her up and came inside the house.

About 15mins later i get a knock at the door, god knows who it is at this hour, but i look out the peep hole and see nobody, hmmm...

Next thing is the house phone rings... "Rich?" "No, its Phil." ...."you'd better come outside mate"

Me thinking "crap, whats happened" i go outside, and my cars sat in the middle of the road. I hadn't put the handbrake on properly! There was an old lady stood there (who rang the police) two police men and the guy who phoned the house.

I thought i'd be really embarrased but i just had to giggle, the police were quite understanding (still did a vehicle check though) and i reversed the car, thanked the guy and made sure the handbrake was firmly on and the car in gear.

Probably feel quite sheepish when i see the guy next, but i couldn't help laughing :D

Phil

Soldato
OP
Conscript said:
lol, i'd have felt a right pillock :D

Still, no harm done eh :)

No but it could have been worse. The car was around 3" from the kerb, and with the car being quite low it could have done quite a bit of damage to the front bumper, so i was really lucky really :)

Its 2nd nature to put the handbrake on so i have no idea why i didnt :confused:

Soldato
Tiredness and just one of those things I guess.

I once did the classic of getting back into the car, looking over my shoulder, reaching down to the gearstick and placing it into reverse to back out of the space...and promply driving forwards into a wooden barrier :D

A combination of being tired and looking over my shoulder while I changed gear seemed to muck up my brain and I moved it to the left, not the right. Luckily, no one was around to witness my error though :D

Soldato
My brother did this, came in around midnight after a late shift and parked his car on the road but didn't put the handbrake on properly. My Dad woke up about 1am and checked out of the window to see if my brother was home but obviously the car wasn't there. This was a bit stange so he knocked on my brothers door to check, and sure enough he was there. Confusion ensued where they though his car had been nicked, only to get outside in their pyjamas to find it 100 metres down the road, miraculously undamaged! It had managed to roll back in such a way that it avoided all kerbs and parked cars, and was just sat there in the middle of the road.

Associate
My mum did this and her 206 departed from the house and about 50 yards down the road into and parked itself perfectley on the path about a foot away from a wall on the corner of 2 roads. I LOLED at her for a good 20 mins, god knows what it must have looked like :p

Soldato
Conscript said:
Tiredness and just one of those things I guess.

I once did the classic of getting back into the car, looking over my shoulder, reaching down to the gearstick and placing it into reverse to back out of the space...and promply driving forwards into a wooden barrier :D

ROFL, I would have paid good money to see that - what a text book error...good job!

[huzeeee] said:
My mum did this and her 206 departed from the house and about 50 yards down the road into and parked itself perfectley on the path about a foot away from a wall on the corner of 2 roads. I LOLED at her for a good 20 mins, god knows what it must have looked like :p

Hehe, yeah I remember that one mate - She couldn't have parked it that accurately if she'd have tried!

Soldato
First day on a new job when I was 17, I parked up my lovely white D plate MG Metro in the sloping staff car park with 4ft deep drainage ditch at the bottom (opencast coal site!).

About half an hour later, someone walked into the office and asked who's car's backside was sticking out of the top of the ditch after its handbrake failed, always parked up in gear since then! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom