So whats the best dance tune ever?

Ben

Ben

Associate
Originally posted by Kfa
Thats a very good point. But with nearly every sub genre of dance music you can branch off into countless other sub categories. It also depends on what you would classify as qualities of dance music.

Im not big on ambient trance, but surely it was made on synths, sequencers etc?, played by dj's? played at partys, clubs?

Are they not certain qualities of the dance music scene in general?

I'm not a club/party expert, but I guess you can make up your own mind from these samples:

http://www.platipus.co.uk/audio/wma/plat110_2_9.wma
http://www.platipus.co.uk/audio/wma/plat110_2_12.wma
http://www.platipus.co.uk/audio/wma/plat110_1_8.wma
http://www.platipus.co.uk/audio/wma/JUL024.wma
http://www.platipus.co.uk/audio/wma/plat110_2_3.wma

It's really more aimed at relaxing to, rather than get up and dance.

I don't think being made with synths and sequencers really constitute dance music at all, I mean Jean Michel Jarre's music was all based on that, and you can't really dance to the original Oxygene series and other works of his ;) Also Vangelis springs to mind for similar qualities.

I think the main "quality" for dance music, is that you can dance to it... not that I dance anyway.

Kfa

Kfa

Associate
Originally posted by Ben
I don't think being made with synths and sequencers really constitute dance music at all, I mean Jean Michel Jarre's music was all based on that, and you can't really dance to the original Oxygene series and other works of his ;) Also Vangelis springs to mind for similar qualities.

I think the main "quality" for dance music, is that you can dance to it... not that I dance anyway.

Fair point, but, i dont seem to recall Jean Michel Jarre or Vangelis being dj's or having their 'tunes' played out at clubs etc. If you think the main quality for dance music is you can dance to it, then maybe youre missing the bigger picture somewhere, i mean you can go to cheesy clubs and see people dancing to abba, steps etc but you cant say that that is dance music as such.

Ive heard Ambient Trance played at chillout rooms at clubs, maybe you cant dance to it, but id say its dance music

Associate
Originally posted by Kfa
Or if you REALLY wanted to be picky you could say it stems from Kraftwerk, and other synth groups that were around in that era

im not sure if i agree with that or not - ive read people who dont, who say it was more to do with the increase in availability of cheap drum machines such as the 808 and 909... i think its too complicated for me to think about this soon after i got up :p

Originally posted by Kfa
Its probably neccesary to sub-genre-ise so some poor hairperfect armani poser clubbers dont go into a dance club playing 250bpm evil messed up dutch speedcore and have a heartattack :p

lol, **** em - the only people im bothered about are people goin to the club for the music, the posers are bad news for the scene... :p

Originally posted by Ben

hmm, im not sure about that. i guess the main feature of 'dance' is to make you move, but it is an individual thing, it affects people in different ways. i know people who generally only listen to club music at home - i know people who dont like going out to jungle, but will be fine having a bit of a listen at home.

and one of the best tunes ive ever heard played out was 'belfast' by orbital - and if thats not chillout, i dunno what is :)

Ben

Ben

Associate
Originally posted by billyloner
and one of the best tunes ive ever heard played out was 'belfast' by orbital - and if thats not chillout, i dunno what is :)

As I said
(ok some may do that fall into this catagory, but they're few are far between)
:) Another one would be Lost Tribe - Under the Red Sea. There are a few tracks out there than can "jump" genres. Take for example Azzido De Bass - Doom's Night [Timo Mass Remix], it finds its way into Trance, and Garage mixes (or used to :p). And if I recall people used to say that Apollo 440 were trying to do a similar appeal to two types of people?

If you think the main quality for dance music is you can dance to it, then maybe youre missing the bigger picture somewhere, i mean you can go to cheesy clubs and see people dancing to abba, steps etc but you cant say that that is dance music as such.

touche, but I did say I'm not a club/party expert. :p

Associate
Originally posted by Ben
As I said

sorry, i wasnt disagreein with you on that :) was actually agreein lol... there are lots of tunes like that that would go down well in a club / party, but its more a case of there being a lack of djs willing to play the tunes... have you ever heard 'a wonderful life' by carl craig? beautiful, haunting tune would sound class in the middle of the right set - but i wouldnt like to rate the chances of hearing it out... :(

Associate
got to say some of my favourites are

Public Domain - Operation Blade
Ultrabeat - Pretty Green Eyes
Warrior
Cosmic Gate - Fire Wire
Darude - Sandstorm

Also depends how much i've had to drink! Eventually all dance tracks just sound amazing!

Andy

Soldato
Originally posted by AlphaNumeric
I've never liked that song for some reason. Its "alright" but not a "Come up rush" inducer ;) But I don't think I've ever heard it in a club so that might be partly to do with it.

"Ferry Corsten - Rock Your Body" is a great track too. Forgot all about it till I heard it on Radio 1's stream of Dance Anthems. Good memories of NYE again :cool:

yeah i though this was a different song, asfter listing to it its not the same one i ment, now can anyone work out which im talking about...

its just has the the words feel love then an incredible catch tune that pretty much repeats, if i have to record myself whistling it i will..

i found it... THE BEST DANCE TUNE EVER, to make u rush, is

CRW- I FEEL LOVE :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Andyt_uk
got to say some of my favourites are

Public Domain - Operation Blade
Ultrabeat - Pretty Green Eyes
Warrior
Cosmic Gate - Fire Wire
Darude - Sandstorm

Also depends how much i've had to drink! Eventually all dance tracks just sound amazing!

Andy

no offence to your tatse in music, but anyone who seriously is in ther mid twenties knows that anything that has been released, in the last 5 or 6 years years is just rubbish, I havent read most of this thread but i havent yet seen atrack mentioned that was made b4 2000.

stuff like standstorm and darude, just dont hold up when played against stuff such as

Da hool _ meet her at the love parade,
Faithless_ Insomnia
Paul Van Dyk_ For an angel,
Bt_ Flaming June
Jam and spoon_ Stella
Energy 52_ cafe del mar

When these and tracks b4 where released ppl started to notice dance, tune and then came the decline into the crap that followed, then the scouse house there putting out now. its all pretty rubbish. Although my choice for best dance tune ever isnt a very old tune, it howeva holds a special memory for me that, makes me just melt. ;)

actually after listen to Da hool again, ive changed my mind thats the best dance tune ever...

anyone agree?

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by ChroniC

Da hool _ meet her at the love parade,

I was about to disagree with you but i thought i'd check my media library and listen to it again. Ive got 2 versions the original and a 2001 remix. Before checking just now i'd only ever heard the 2001 mix which is absolute pap, stupid lyrics and i always used to skip that track.

Now after just hearing the original version! what a song!

I still think Yomanda - synth and strings, is a better song though.

Pete

EDIT\\ for those of you who mentioned trance songs the give you goosebumps you have to listen to this song:

DJ Quiksilver - Bellissima

If you don't recognise the name of the song i very strongly recommend you 'obtain' it!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sorry Ferret, I'm in agreement with the people you're duscussing against. It all comes under the main heading of dance. It might be sub-classified other things, but its all flavours of the same thing IMO.

Originally posted by ChroniC
I havent read most of this thread but i havent yet seen atrack mentioned that was made b4 2000.

What you mean is you only read one post? :D

Most (if not all, I cba to go back and check) of mine will be before that time.

Originally posted by Grrrrr
EDIT\\ for those of you who mentioned trance songs the give you goosebumps you have to listen to this song:

DJ Quiksilver - Bellissima

If you don't recognise the name of the song i very strongly recommend you 'obtain' it!

Nearly missed your edit then :)

I've got Bellissima on original somewhere. I bought it cos it was on in the shop when I went in to buy DJ Flava - Your Caress on white label that I'd ordered on import.

Associate
Just looking through my cd collection here :) here are aloy more of my faves/classics .. hmm

Larry Heard - Can You Feel It
Anything off .... Black Dog - Bytes. For sure :D
LFO - LFO
Autechre - Basscadet
Orbital - Midnight
LTJ Bukem - Demon's theme
Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy (Paul Oakenfold Remix)
Carl Craig - Televised Green Smoke

Soldato
Originally posted by Gilly
Sorry Ferret, I'm in agreement with the people you're duscussing against. It all comes under the main heading of dance. It might be sub-classified other things, but its all flavours of the same thing IMO.

What you mean is you only read one post? :D

Most (if not all, I cba to go back and check) of mine will be before that time.

Not far off, i read the first 2 pages, then ppl started saying stuff like, operation blade:rolleyes: and trance and hard trance, which all have the same repetative drum beat, so i gave up reading.

Man of Honour
Damn you all :)
After re-reading this thread im itching to get up into the loft and drag my 'main' DJ box back down into the light.... or actually 2 of my boxes as most of those listed above will be in one or the other......
Only problem I forsee is that I sold my technics to help pay for the drag car.... which leaves me just a normal HiFi to play them on.... damn you, damn you all :D :D lol !

Back
Top Bottom