soapui to get data from ebay api

Associate
Hi there
I usually work with SAP but have been given the task of getting sales orders out of ebay via one of their api's. I've got a ebay dev account, given my dev account access to the 3rd partys data and now wish to use an api to 1) generate the wsdl i can use to make the request from my middleware(sap pi) and once ive made the wsdl, trigger it pulling back sales data that i can map to a sales document in SAP erp..

I seem to be failing on the basic api of getEbayOfficial time as i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to teh soap or rest parameters.

Does anybody have any good material or any time they could spare to assist. I'd be willing to spare some beer tokens..

Thanks

Soldato
Not used it in a while and only with in-house web services.
I assume you've already accessed the WSDL using SOAPUI and generated template messages for each web method? (soap/xml with empty tags?).
Is there any API documentation? My guess is that you're not providing a parameter in the correct format, ie, date/time format for a tag that requires a data/time, or somethign like that (bool?).
My process was to point SOAPUI at the wsdl, generate a template request message for each web method the web service provides, and then start populating the xml tags in each template message and testing them until I got a valid response. This was easier if the web service provided good validation handling and error feedback in the response.
The tricky fields were non-alphanumeric fields like bool and datetimes. Also ensure when passing nulls this is done correctly (an empty >< tag is not a null).Be aware of mandatory, optional and conditional fields too.
I assume the getEbayOfficialTime is an easy webmethod to use. If you're not getting back any responses relating to failing validation or an actual time response then you;ve probably got something a bit more fundamentally wrong (ie, it's failing before actually being processed by the webmethod you're targeting). For example, if you had to provide a country code, but you left it blank, I'd expect to see a response message containing something like "Country Code must be provided", if the request message got to the webmethod successfully.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well im assuming there are a number of wsdl's, one for logging in, one for the getorders (or whatever it is to get sales order data in ebay).
I guess its just a matter of trial and error then really. Soapui does seem to have some good error responses or at least ebay does but sometimes you google for the answer and theres nothing really about - lots of trial and error.

I've manged to get some data out using the ebay test tool, now to find the correct api to get the data i want and resolve any logging in issues..

https://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/...ion&api=trading&call=AddDispute&variation=xml

Cheers for the info though.

Soldato
Well im assuming there are a number of wsdl's, one for logging in, one for the getorders (or whatever it is to get sales order data in ebay).
I guess its just a matter of trial and error then really. Soapui does seem to have some good error responses or at least ebay does but sometimes you google for the answer and theres nothing really about - lots of trial and error.

I've manged to get some data out using the ebay test tool, now to find the correct api to get the data i want and resolve any logging in issues..

https://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/...ion&api=trading&call=AddDispute&variation=xml

Cheers for the info though.
Yep, probably lots of WSDL's. I'd expect functionality to be grouped so there could be just an Orders web service (with one WSDL) that exposes all of the web methods to do with orders.
Always easy when in-house as you can harass others for info :). I've been provided with huge documents before too, listing everything about a web service, including the fine detail of all the xml tags in both the request and response messages.This is the level of detail I'd expect to see but...….probably doesn't exist :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom