Social Justice Warriors

Associate
It seems like this is more of an American phenomenon than European, but I have just recently seen a few videos portraying the actions of "Social Justice Warriors" (SJWs).

I was put onto a particular video (contains swearies) where a load of Yale students have surrounded a Professor called Nicholas Christakis and are giving him a real hard time about "safe spaces" on campus and an email his wife sent about Halloween Costumes.

Story here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...ate-for-all-concerned/?utm_term=.dc05d8c2d1e8

It culminates with the SJW shrieking that the university experience and his role as professor and house master "[..] is not about creating an intellectual space!"

My mind was blown by this and now I think I might be addicted to SJW videos. The total stupidity of the way they express their views and opinions is the most alien thing to me. They may have some valid points, but they seem unable to put them across appropriately. They just shut the other speaker down and shriek over them. It seems they are hell-bent on stifling freedom of speech and removing all potential sources of discomfort from the world.

I realise I am probably a year late catching on to this, but until recently I had never heard of:
  • Safe Spaces
  • Trigger Warnings
  • Micro-Aggressions
  • Rape Culture
etc...

Anyone seen this first hand? Are there any students that see this at their uni/campus.

The mind boggles....

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it wouldn't kill you to use it correctly :D.

I hate these kind of people. They've do more harm than good to the causes they supposedly represent.

Caporegime
Well it wouldn't kill you to use it correctly :D.

I hate these kind of people. They've do more harm than good to the causes they supposedly represent.

Do they? From what I've seen they seem to winning - free speech is massively under threat right now, and more worryingly still is their tendency toward violence (which is often ignored by the media and authorities).

Soldato
Do they? From what I've seen they seem to winning - free speech is massively under threat right now, and more worryingly still is their tendency toward violence (which is often ignored by the media and authorities).

Must admit I haven't seen any violence bar overly loud shouting and rather aggressive actions ironically (probably missed it).

I do think they're doing more harm than good. The massive overreaction they present leads to a greater resistance from people in general.

While they certainly get the air time I don't really think they're winning. At least I can't think of an example where they are.

Last edited:
Soldato
just watched the video and the university should kick her out for screaming at the professor and telling him to 'shut the **** up' - they wont though and that is part of the problem - it allows people to believe that acting that way and speaking to people in such a manner is acceptable.

the only redeeming part of the video is that most of the other students seemed a bit shocked at her outburst (that's just my opinion) - and at least they weren't all cheering and clapping her on.

what a horrid, petulant brat of a girl.

Associate
OP
Must admit I haven't seen any violence bar overly loud shouting(probably missed it) and rather aggressive as well ironically.

I do think they're doing more harm than good. The massive overreaction they present leads to a greater resistance from people in general.

While they certainly get the air time I don't really think they're winning. At least I can't think of an example where they are.

From the videos I've watched they seem to have some minor victories in which they are able to completely shut down a person with an opposing view to the point where the other person just bows their head in disgust/defeat/exhaustion from all the shouting and finger jabbing. They "win" in some small measure by the simple fact that they are impossible to debate/argue with.

Caporegime
+1

It really gets my back up, seems everyone is out to be offended by everything either directly or on the behalf of someone else/another group and protest about it.

Idiots!

Thing is, they aren't idiots are they? They're Yale undergraduates, part of the next generation of executives and politicians.

Associate
OP
just watched the video and the university should kick her out for screaming at the professor and telling him to 'shut the **** up' - they wont though and that is part of the problem - it allows people to believe that acting that way and speaking to people in such a manner is acceptable.

the only redeeming part of the video is that most of the other students seemed a bit shocked at her outburst (that's just my opinion) - and at least they weren't all cheering and clapping her on.

what a horrid, petulant brat of a girl.

I couldn't believe it, this is what shocked me. That this is now considered an acceptable way to behave is what is so alien to me. The way in which they present their arguments is just so backwards. They weren't clapping because they were clicking. Seemingly clapping is not allowed now either! Utter madness.

Last edited:
Soldato
From the videos I've watched they seem to have some minor victories in which they are able to completely shut down a person with an opposing view to the point where the other person just bows their head in disgust/defeat/exhaustion from all the shouting and finger jabbing. They "win" in some small measure by the simple fact that they are impossible to debate/argue with.

Precisely minor victories. If it had become law that we weren't allow to say anything that may upset someone then I believe the backlash would be much greater. Which unfortunately wouldn't lead to these people losing out as they'd only see it as vindication for their actions. The ones who really lose out are going to be the people fighting for honest rights and equality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom