Social Mobility - you what mate

Soldato

Social mobility for the few or social equality for the many?

This has been in the news recently and had me wondering. Is this the tipping point for us where we reach massive disparity between the rich and poor ? I mean to the point where it's irreversible. The UK population is 66.5m and from north to south the is massive economical disparity. Where you are born, go school etc has an effect your future prospects. There are however a few outliers they make it, those rags to rich stories. However, for the majority this is not the case.
The Margaret Thatcher era allowed for Council Housing to be sold. This allowed for many working class people to jump in social mobility. Enabling their future generations of today to reap in the equity gained from house prices rise.

My issue is government both red/blue seem to have put a stop to this. They are actually putting policies to stop the ordinary Brit from excelling. Example is university fees, stopping Education maintenance allowance for kids and also inheritance tax on people that only have the house to their family name.

Very interested in other people thoughts and opinions on this matter.

Soldato
OP
The university fees certainly are hindering social mobility, there is no student loan available for a 2nd degree so all the people that want to change careers can no longer afford to with the increase.
+1
When it was free only wealthy familys could afford to send their kids to university. This might not make sense but most people had to work to support themselves. Not all parents are supportive of their kids. Therefore when uni was free its was see as only the wealth off that went.

I feel they are turning back the clock on this because now they are charging again only the wealthy will be able to afford to go. Unless obviously you want to come out with debts over 60k.
Its all part of the old school boys network. Most people that are private educated are guranteed to have a good start in life. Hence the expensive fees. However the same can not applied to university. Its the foundations that matter. Primary education is where it all starts.

Most of you will argue that university is not for everyonen and I agree but the government are not promoting alternatives and also companies are exploiting cheap labour via apprenticeships and volunteering. The failing is at primary education through to secondary school.

Ask yourself why the government are keen to bring back grammar school.
There is going to be a huge skills shortage after we leave europe. Especially in the tech sector and we dont have people here unfortunately due to failing of the school system.
They have only started to introduce programming in key stage 1&2 in schools.

Back
Top Bottom