Socket Guard

Modern UK sockets are very safe so unless your toddler can work out how to jam something into the earth prong hole to open the flaps you should be ok?

I know all kids are different but we never did anything with ours apart from telling my daughter not to touch them.

Modern UK sockets are very safe so unless your toddler can work out how to jam something into the earth prong hole to open the flaps you should be ok?

I know all kids are different but we never did anything with ours apart from telling my daughter not to touch them.
He's on about the switch not the plug hole itself.

There is an Amazon cover you can get iirc. Search the forum there was a thread a while ago.

I’m sure I read something recently that suggested those socket blanking thingies were actually dangerous to use in UK sockets - will have a gander and post it up if I find it.

Edit: d’oh just read @dlockers post above. Note to self, read op properly.

Last edited:
I’m sure I read something recently that suggested those socket blanking thingies were actually dangerous to use in UK sockets - will have a gander and post it up if I find it.

Edit: d’oh just read @dlockers post above. Note to self, read op properly.

In theory those socket blankers are defeating one of the key safeguards (inserting an earth pin)
I've never seen any real proof that its actually increasing the actual risk however.

I can only think its because in general those plates are thin plastic so you could maybe break them in half, leaving the earth pin in, and pulling the live and neutral ones out.
That would be dangerous.

It isn’t regarding the holes - it’s just the switches

Yes, I do tell my 15 month old. Problem is he’s 15 months old so can go rogue

In serious answer to your question. You can get ones that fit behind the socket plate. You slightly loosen it add the guard and then screw it back on.
In effect they function very much like an outdoor socket, they have a cover that clips/locks to avoid being able to access the switches and plugs.

They are often used for elderly/dementia patients as well to stop them turning off stuff that needs to remain in.

These https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clippasafe...-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A33RW6BUO0P97&th=1

Last edited:
We used a WiFi/smart home socket - no physical switches for little fingers to press, but can operate via Alexa/App etc. Will look through my emails as I can't find the exact ones in my Amazon order history...

In theory those socket blankers are defeating one of the key safeguards (inserting an earth pin)
I've never seen any real proof that its actually increasing the actual risk however.

I can only think its because in general those plates are thin plastic so you could maybe break them in half, leaving the earth pin in, and pulling the live and neutral ones out.
That would be dangerous.
I think that's exactly the risk. They're generally crap plastic that breaks off in the hole and it goes unnoticed or something or other.

Yes, I do tell my 15 month old. Problem is he’s 15 months old so can go rogue
We had the same problem, we just persevered and he eventually lost interest. He's nearly 2 and a half now and hasn't done it for at least 6 months.

If a toddler pulled a plug half out could they not touch a live pin ? or does the BS std on plugs prevent that

( doesn't everyone remember the first time they were electrocuted - pretty sure it was associated with the metal hook that was part of Fit-bit construction kit - infant meccano type toy )

Back
Top Bottom