Socket Guard

If a toddler pulled a plug half out could they not touch a live pin ? or does the BS std on plugs prevent that

( doesn't everyone remember the first time they were electrocuted - pretty sure it was associated with the metal hook that was part of Fit-bit construction kit - infant meccano type toy )
Capacitor in a PS1 made me question my life choices.

If a toddler pulled a plug half out could they not touch a live pin ? or does the BS std on plugs prevent that

( doesn't everyone remember the first time they were electrocuted - pretty sure it was associated with the metal hook that was part of Fit-bit construction kit - infant meccano type toy )
Since the early 80s this is prevented by the Line and Neutral pins being partially sleeved in plastic.

Also electrocuted means a fatal electric shock.

In theory those socket blankers are defeating one of the key safeguards (inserting an earth pin)
I've never seen any real proof that its actually increasing the actual risk however.

I can only think its because in general those plates are thin plastic so you could maybe break them in half, leaving the earth pin in, and pulling the live and neutral ones out.
That would be dangerous.
Saw a video on this exactly. In some instances it is more dangerous to use the plastic covers.
I promptly removed them from all the socket outlets.

I do need to test if the plastic shielding on prongs is adequate, in RCBO we trust;
didn't have that in the good old days - like corporal punishment in the home and school, remember PE teacher tuning up a plimsoll on the shower walls.

I love when this comes up, and no one reads the actual post and gets all huhhh duhh socket covers
just mission creep..

Back
Top Bottom