Software needed to develop on Android

Soldato
Is Android studio still the most popular choice to develop, I know there is Eclipse, but bit more disjointed compared to all-in-one, AS. Thought may have pop at an app.

Associate
I used to use Eclipse then moved to Android Studio. Eclipse stopped supporting something or the other a couple of years ago, can't remember what though :)

Associate
Android Studio looks great. What do you need to know to use it and develop something say that reads a database, and creates quotes based on a few mutli choice options?
Sorry, I only ever accessed the built in Sqlite database, no idea how I'd connect to an external DB.

You can also use Visual Studio 2015 community edition if you fancy writing them in c# (via Xamarin)
My android development ended before I tried xamarin. If I were to dev for android again this is what I'd at least try. Use c# every day do dev time should/would be shorter. Might try it for my next ios app since I HATE xcode :)

Associate
If
Android Studio looks great. What do you need to know to use it and develop something say that reads a database, and creates quotes based on a few mutli choice options?
I'd have the app read the Json result from the server (makes the required request to the web server which in turn does the appropriate query in the backend). The mobile app parses the resultant Json appropriately to construct what it needs.

Associate

Not wishing to derail the thread, but I don't see why anyone would want to download an app for obtaining a cleaning quote. Just keep improving your website and forget about apps.

would be for staff, and the quote is where it'd start. there's many uses an app would be great for amongst being something i'd love to learn and having a real life reason for something i've always found the best way to learn a skill like this. :)

Soldato
OP
Go for it, download AS & the JAVA SDK, Google, 'Java JDK' and pick the right one for your system.

I'll try and help out with any questions as am learning myself.

Associate
would be for staff, and the quote is where it'd start. there's many uses an app would be great for amongst being something i'd love to learn and having a real life reason for something i've always found the best way to learn a skill like this. :)

Fair enough. I can see it being useful for staff, just not for customers. Good luck :)

Soldato
OP
Got AS up and running, looks like gradle is going to cause a lot of headaches, very slow and throwing up plenty errors.

Back
Top Bottom