Solar panel production figures

Associate
Hi I am looking at a heat pump with Octopus, what question should I be asking them?

One company suggested a Mitsubishi 11kW Heat pump, I waiting for Octopus to do a survey.
For me, I really didn't want the water tank downstairs, it was a must for the attic where my existing boiler and tank are.
The first survey raised questions on their choice of radiators and location. For example, downstairs hall, minor upgrade but open landing going from a 600mm to 1800mm tall radiator seemed the wrong way around. It's based on heat loss for a given area but common sense should prevail and realise heat rises. Upstairs is warm enough, it's always downstairs - so oversizing the upstairs seemed ridiculous.
On of the radiators, bay window, was incorrectly altered and didn't meet the heating loss, so a call they upgraded it on a new schedule but I questioned it as it wouldn't have fit the bay unless it was 2-3ft into the room!
He also said no to the attic for the new tank, I found it strange as all the pipework from the system boiler is there and makes an easier retro fit.
They agreed to a second surveyor as too many errors including no kitchen/diner radiator heat loss plan. Much better, and all these problems resolved including location - back to the attic.
However, the 9kW Daikin is unresolved - I'm seeing if I can supplement this with my electric underfloor heating to enable them to reduce for the short term, new triple glazed windows in a few years and floor insulation next year would bring it in line.
So for questions, most will probably come after your assessment report but if you're recommended the 9kW Daikin then try and get any improvements done prior - they will also calculate if these will improve the heat loss enough to change. Many examples on forums of the 9kW installation, poor and expensive performance then replacement with an 8kW because the heat loss is over egged!
Basic questions for starters:
1. Location of the heat pump and potential drainage route.
2. Ensure they're going to clad external pipework correctly.
3. Planning permission if location is close or noisy enough to next property.
4. Position of water tank location and size suitable for your needs.
Also once report is available, look at costs to run based on your current usage, payback for me would be around 13 years but obviously that isn't always the reason for changing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom