Sold expesive board on ebay, seller says its faulty

Soldato
Sold an MSI X470 motherboard on ebay, fully working and tested, bios updated by myself as I stated in the listing, packaged it up really well, I always do, people have even left me positive feedback saying that I used enough bubble wrap to decorate there living room, the package was sent via next day delivery DPD, the buyer received it on Friday, he contacted me yesterday (Monday) saying it was faulty and doesn't work ???????

He then proceeded to send me threatening and intimidating messages...……….saying I was selling faulty goods on the bay etc and just give him his money back, I told him to return it to me for testing, something to note here is the board is only 2 months old and still under full warranty, if it was faulty, I would have just returned it to where I brought it from (shop in Bradford) and got it refunded / exchanged not sold it at a small loss.

I contacted ebay who told me to accept the return and once I receive the item back they will refund him, however I said, surely I get time to test it to see what he's been up to, they told me to contact them immediately if the board is physically damaged in anyway which is all well and good, however, im wondering if he's gone and flashed the wrong bios to it or something like that as there are very similar boards listed on the MSI website and you do have to be careful when choosing.

Is there anyway I can find out if this is what he's done ? any particular damage I should look for ? would you stick your ram and CPU etc into it to see if it still works and he just simply changed his mind etc ?

Yesterday (Monday) he couldn't send messages to me quick enough, today I have contacted ebay and escalated the claim, ive messaged him on multiple occasions asking if he's returned the board yet, even supplied a returns label and had no response what so ever from him ????

I DONT SELL DODGEY GOODS, STAT !!!

Soldato
OP
You're screwed either way, eBay will refund him and you'll end up with a duff board.

TBH im not so sure i'll ever see that board again, after some of the messages I sent him back, I think he's either trying to pull a fast one and just using faulty as an excuse to return it and get his money back, or he's worried of what he might of done to it and the come backs when I see what he's done to it.

Thankfully one of ebays return policies is you must receive the item you sent to them and in the condition you sent it to them too, I always take pictures and always note serial numbers until I receive a positive feedback, so theres no sending me back a board that he may or may not of previously killed.

Soldato
OP
also did you take note of the serial numbers on the board etc.

Make sure IF you get it back they match if not then he knew what he was doing swapping his duff board for yours etc and then sending you one back :(.

That's exactly what I did, noted the number on the board and matched it with the number on the box, one of my messages to him stated, the sticker better still be on the board, not be tampered with and match my records, im starting to think he's panicking and that's why he's not yet sent the board back or responded to any of my or eBay's messages, if id brought a defective board, and requested a return, had that return request accepted, id have it packaged back up and in the post the same day.

and ive already asked my Mrs to video me opening the package if and when I get it back, right down to unpacking and inspecting the board, i'll youtube it and send ebay the link.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a basic scam. Kick up a massive fuss to see if you can get a refund without having to return the board = free motherboard.

I’d be straightforward and polite.

- inform him you have pictures of the board, it’s condition and it’s serial numbers
- he is welcome to return the board for assessment
- if it is faulty you’ll refund and return it under warranty
- if it is faulty due to physical damage you will contest the claim via PayPal

I would never sell on eBay tbh, you’re too vulnerable.

- inform him you have pictures of the board, it’s condition and it’s serial numbers - done this, uploaded the pictures to ebay resolution centre so myself, him and ebay can see them.
- he is welcome to return the board for assessment - asked him to do this yesterday, return it for testing, like you stated, he just banged on about me giving him his money back or he'll go to his credit card to get his money back
- if it is faulty you’ll refund and return it under warranty - yup that's what I would have done
- if it is faulty due to physical damage you will contest the claim via PayPal - via ebay who will sort it out for me, just spoke to them again, he only has 10 days to get it back to me, any physical damage will be filmed by my partner as I open the package so they can see im not doing it, and they will take it from there.

Also just had a read through his messages again, quite funny really, he's saying it defective, give me my money back, im basically replying with return the board for testing, and he's again saying just give me my money back its defective, im saying return it for testing, then he's getting irate and saying, youre selling faulty goods on ebay, I then reply with its still under bloody warranty, if it was faulty I wouldn't have sold it on, id have returned it for a refund or replacement from where I brought it from, and his response, just give me my money back or i'll go to my credita card to get it back, ive then escalated the claim with ebay customer services......no further responses from him, they just confirmed for me too on the phone that he's not yet printed the returns label.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It’s just a scam, trying to get a refund and keep a free board. Don’t waste any energy, he’s not going to return it, he’ll just disappear.

Such SUCH !!! a shame that sellers cant leave negative feedback for buyers anymore.

EDIT: his username is louibibi he based in London, make sure if you sell anything on ebay, this user is blocked and doesn't try and scam you.

Soldato
OP
Totally do this! Any update?

Well ive been on the phone to ebay again tonight asking what he's playing at, they've made a full report to help my case, basically, he filed the return on Monday, printed the shipping label I sent on Tuesday, but according to Royal Mail tracking, he's still not even dropped it off at the post office, I told ebay tonight, theres something very fishy going on, they have said he has until next Friday to get it back to me otherwise the claim will be granted in my favour.

Im half expecting him to drop it off at the post office on Saturday, maybe he's just too busy in the week to drop it off, however, if there's no tracking info available from Saturday onwards, then he's pretty screwed as both me and my partner work and have to collect any parcels on a Saturday from the post office, as stated above, he has until Friday to get it in my hands.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My money is on never hearing from the again.

I don't think i'll ever hear again either, its a loose loose situation for him......see below.

That won't make the slightest bit of difference because they will be able to use the tracking info and see when he has posted it off. If you are not in when RM try to deliver it that is hardly his fault is it? Ebay will see that he has posted it so it's in your best interest to pick it up asap otherwise it will probably go against you by default. I fully expect you to recieve a different or trashed board back from him. Something was not right about this from the start.

as above, its a loose loose situation for him as he's taking so long to send it back, even ebay themselves are getting suspicious now, so far (Friday) still no tracking info, still not sent it, basically, if it comes back to me, working fine the same as I sent it, I can appeal and file a false claim, (he's claiming a defective / non working item) he then has to pay me postage to return it too him, if it comes back as you stated, trashed or even serial numbers not matching my records, serials tampered with, damaged in anyway, missing accessories, or not working, etc, ebay will give me 6 days to investigate whats wrong with it and where to place the blame, day 1 will be my tests, day 2-6 will be sent back to where I brought it from and hopefully they can tell me whats wrong with it, i'll ask for a report and forward that to ebay, its obviously something he's done to it himself as I could have thrown it off a wall and still had it working fine with the amount of packaging around it.

I think he's looked up the return policies and is panicking and just thinking, whats the point in sending it back, strictly has to come back to me in the condition with all packaging as I sent it to him in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I might be wrong on the amount but I think ya need 1000 posts or more to unlock members market.

Every one expect loads of new posts from Jamin280672 he aint far off LOL :p

LMAO :D:D:D:D:D:D "Thinks he had better getting posting more !!!!!"

Although I don't have anything to sell anymore, just sold 2 960 evo's on ebay, and that MSI X470 board, quite happy with my system now, so got nothing to sell.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Saturday post missed and still not sent it, I think this is probably the end of it now, I don't think i'll ever see the board again, if he truly was complaining that the board wasn't working, when I pointed him to the return policies and stated the board had to come back to me in the same condition as I sent it to him in, I think this is whats turned him, and he's thought "Oh crap"

Soldato
OP
Been tempted to post this for a while, please someone tell me if I was being unreasonable in these messages, this is from the beginning until the last time I head from him. the messages are in revers order:

11 Jul
You sent a message
Have you sent the board back yet ?, both me and ebay are waiting on you, it is required to come back to me in exactly the same condition as I sent it in, I will also be checking serial numbers on the board match with what I have taken note of, make sure the sticker is still on the board and untampered with.

10 Jul
eBay opened a case on your behalf

10 Jul
You provided return information

10 Jul
You approved the request

09 Jul
You sent a message
EBay, also please note that the buyer was very pushy for the original invoice / receipt, evidence of this can been seen in my messages, I was advised by my supplier not to give this to the buyer as it contained personal information

09 Jul
You sent a message
Why are you so scared to send the board back to be tested? Sounds suspicious to me, I've not been unreasonable, just asked you to send it back for testing, I don't do refunds without testing

09 Jul
You sent a message
Didn't sell it cheap, sold it for 30 quid less than I paid for it, if was faulty, I wouldn't have sold it in the first place, I would have just returned it to *** computers for an exchange or refund, packaging was adequate as the board was wrapped and protected with air bags, it was a heavy duty boot box, nothing else in that box requires protection, still waiting for you to send the board back to me for testing, only person wasting time is you, like i said if you've damaged the board, just admit it, I think you've flashed the wrong bios to it, but I'll soon find out,if so, you'll get a nice paper weight back, I've received plenty of boards in my time with less packaging around them, you have my address, send the board, no refund will be issued until I've tested it, the quicker you post it back the quicker you get your money back.

09 Jul
The buyer sent you a message
It may have been working but why did you sell it so cheap, also Ebay the postage of the item was very poor the item was posted in a shoe box. Just authorise my return let me return the item and issue me with a refund so I can buy a new motherboard for my pc build. ASAP or I will just take it up with my credit card company you are wasting my time on purpose.

09 Jul
You sent a message
As can be seen in the pictures, full working order, completely lit up, Ebay, please hold off whilst the board is tested for damage after I've received it back from the buyer

09 Jul
You sent a message
Like I said, return it to me, if it was faulty, I would have returned it to *** myself instead of selling it as it's still under full warranty, I will forward it to them for examination after I receive it back from you

09 Jul
I just want my money back it doesn't work and stop wasting my time. Just let me return this item and be done with this so I can buy a new motherboard. If you are going to waste my time like this I will have to ask ebay to step in and resolve this for me. Thanks

09 Jul
You sent a message
Please send it back to me and I will send it to ***online who I brought it from who will test it and tell me what you did to it, give me a report

09 Jul
I just want to return the item and get my money back I've tried to use it to build my new pc and it does not work .

09 Jul
You sent a message

09 Jul
You sent a message

09 Jul
Selling faulty items, ebay will also be informed

09 Jul
You sent a message
If malicious damage is found ebay will be informed

09 Jul
You sent a message
Tested before sent and was in full working order, please return to be tested again

09 Jul
connected up everything but does not power on. I need to return this item. Thanks

09 Jul
You sent a message

09 Jul
The buyer (louibibi) created a return (**********)
Reason for return
Doesn't work or is defective

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
All that serial number nonsense means nothing.

Can you prove that was the item you sent to the buyer in the first place? Only way I could see you doing this is someone making a non stop video of you packing and delivering to the post office/ courier.

Well im just an end user seller, just an average Jo, not overclockers UK, its not like I have multiple items of that same board, if he had of received a different board, he wouldn't be claiming a defective item, he be claiming for wrong item received.

Soldato
OP
I don't think you get what I'm trying to say.

It's a known scam.

Buy a broken item cheap.
Buy another of the same working.
Raise case saying working one is broken.
Return the broken one to the working ones seller.

I'll only sell on MM, AVF or Gumtree face to face.

oh I see what you're saying, ebay themselves will know what he's up to though, they can see his purchases, they have full access to his account, ebay themselves will be able to see that he's brought a faulty one and a fully working one, lets say £20 for the non working faulty one, and £145 for mine, they will know what his game is from the moment I escalated the claim, they've looked into his account and they've looked into mine.

Soldato
OP
You're assuming the scammer will have bought the dodgy item from the same place as the good one.

Unlikely if they have half a brain.

True, well still not sent any boards back to me, looking more and more suspicious everyday, if you had a defective item that you brought from anywhere, how long would it take you to get it back to where you brought it from, weekend is nearly over, I think he was either expecting me to just issue the refund and take his word for it that it was defective, or offer a partial refund, just trying it on.

Soldato
OP
It'd be in the post as soon as my little legs could get down to the post office!

I had a faulty item from Ebay a couple of years ago, contacted the seller, agreed a return, and I despatched it the same day.

Im the same, as soon as I could get it to the post office which would be same day or next at the latest, it would be in the post back, not a week or more later. He had it 4 days before he complained it was faulty, and now he's had it 6 further days and still not despatched it.

Soldato
OP
Well I got the board back today and breadboarded it, my Mrs recorded me from unpacking it too setting it up and switching it on, came on without any problem at all, first press of the button, so I rang ebay and filed a false claim against the buyer, in this situation, they continue to hold the funds so neither him or me have the money back whilst they check it out, ive emailed them a link to the video so they can see nothing was tampered with, and that its working fine, my Mr's didn't take the camera off the motherboard for 1 second, I told ebay……..I don't accept returns for non faulty items, if it had of been defective I would have been happy for him to return it, but in this situation, theres nothing wrong with it, I told them, I want the money back, and when he re-pays me the postage, I will return the board to him, if he decided he didn't want it, he should have sold it on, not make a false claim.

Soldato
OP
As you have the board back refund him minus any fees/postage.

I'm sure he is expecting every penny back so will **** him of too.

I agree with this. It's honestly better to just let these situations go and get out while you can. The stress just isn't worth it. Seriously I would not return it to him, he will just claim something else, or even worse break it and send it back very broken indeed. Let him have the money and sell it to someone else. I mean even if you work at the minimum UK wage then you have probably spent more on this than the damn thing is worth.

Yes im going to do this any moment now, im jut having a look through the case to see how I send him back a partial refund (as above) minus return postage costs and seller fee's etc.

Back
Top Bottom