Sold my car to a guy in Malta, is it safe?

Soldato
OP
Small update.

I spoke to the guy, sounds honest he sent me a copy of his drivers licence. He is flying in on thursday to take a look at the car and will give a deposit if he is happy.

He knows his Porsches' and has been looking for close to a year for the ideal spec.

Soldato
I sold my car recently unseen to someone, but did spend about 45 minutes on the phone to him first (mainly as I didn't want to start turning away other potential buyers if this guy was just a test pilot or tyre kicker).

I'd be cautious at every step but wouldn't completely rule it out. If someone else phones you up and offers £44k and lives an hour away and will pick it up in 3 days then obviously sell to them. If not continue to play ball with the Malta guy but bail at the first sound of something fishy.

Soldato
Its not uncommon for Maltese people to import second hand cars from the UK. There are some websites (UK to Malta is one) which facilitates the process.

Its quite normal for people to visit second hand websites which are normally used by UK people. There are second hand car dealers which get LOADS of vehicles from the UK to Malta, to then sell them as a profit (prices here are generally higher).

I'm not saying its not a scam, but there are many (genuine) buyers.

Man of Honour
Small update.

I spoke to the guy, sounds honest he sent me a copy of his drivers licence. He is flying in on thursday to take a look at the car and will give a deposit if he is happy.

He knows his Porsches' and has been looking for close to a year for the ideal spec.

The buyer could well be genuine but to make sure you keep a level head and stay cautious that statement should really read... "He sounded just like anybody else and sent me a copy of what might be his, or someone else's, driving licence".

Soldato
Ask him for a contact number in Malta - i.e not a mobile.

Him telling you he's flying in etc still sounds fishy to me, I still think it's a scam and the guy is already in the country and sending you a dodgy drivers license.

Associate
I had a guy want to buy my car of autotrader from same place ,he said he would collect only when bankers draft cleared i thought this was ok until i googled and seen that lots of people let there car go as the money cleared only for the bank to reverse it 2 weeks later when they had chance to see the draft was fake the only safe way is cash and use uv checker

Soldato
I think from my point of view its easy for any of us to claim its a scam, but of course none of us really know.

For me, you know what you are doing, be cautious and be careful but it could well be genuine. What it comes down to is how secure the payment actually when he pays in full for the car, but as you have done, keep in touch with your bank.

Reduce the risk as much as possible as you will do whenever you sell a car of this value. Cash might be good but has risks as well, bank transfer is common too, but truth is not many are 100% safe from buyers in this country anyway.

All in, this isn't your first rodeo, be careful and sensible which I think you are anyway.

Soldato
OP
Another update.

He has called me both form his mobile and land line number in Malta, I have had a chat wish him about some of the cars he has owned, I also found pass classified adverts in these cars in Malta put up by him.

He seems to be quite genuine, he is flying down tomorrow to see the car. If he is happy he will leave a deposit. I am going to ask for the rest of the payment in cash on collection which will be directly deposit in my bank account before handing over the keys.

As Axeboy said, I am going to be super careful and walk away if I think anything feels wrong.

I do have a feeling he may not buy the car anyway has he is being quite picky and is really worried because the engine bay is dirty and there is rust on the discs.

Soldato
Another update.

He has called me both form his mobile and land line number in Malta, I have had a chat wish him about some of the cars he has owned, I also found pass classified adverts in these cars in Malta put up by him.

He seems to be quite genuine, he is flying down tomorrow to see the car. If he is happy he will leave a deposit. I am going to ask for the rest of the payment in cash on collection which will be directly deposit in my bank account before handing over the keys.

As Axeboy said, I am going to be super careful and walk away if I think anything feels wrong.

I do have a feeling he may not buy the car anyway has he is being quite picky and is really worried because the engine bay is dirty and there is rust on the discs.

If you want, drop me his phone number, name and address. I can check them out in the telephone directory, and see if they match up.

Soldato
OP
update.

So the guy came over to have a look, paid a cash deposit and will collect the car when I am back form my holiday.

Tuned out to be a genuine guy.

Back
Top Bottom