sold out of date meat - what would you do?

Caporegime
Grabbed a couple of packs of sliced beef from the bargain section on my way around the local shop today, I don't like food going to waste. I went to eat some earlier this evening and noticed on one packet the reduced sticker was covering the use by date... I almost ignored it as pretty much every time there is stuff in the bargain section it is use by today but luckily I checked and saw it was concealing a use by date of the 15th of March.

The thing that is really bugging me is that it actually seems like they concealed this deliberately - the guy was putting stuff in the bargain section when I was in the store, the pack dated 19th of March didn't have the date concealed by the sticker but the one dated the 15th did.

Cooked meat sold 4 days after use by is more than a bit dodgy no? I'm currently taking immunosuppressive medication, this packet could easily have been sold to an elderly person too and potentially put them in hospital.

What would you guys do?

Nothing, just throw it in the bin?
Complain to [big supermarket chain] as they ought to get a grip of the local store as this sort of thing is unsafe?
Complain to local environmental health as not only is this unsafe, what they did was illegal?

Soldato
Take it back. Can't imagine there would be much hassle in getting a refund/replacement.

I have a bad habit of eating things after use by dates mainly because I'm bad at planning what to eat by dates. No issues yet but as far as I know my immune system is normal. Hate wasting food.

Soldato
Use by dates are normally "taste the best" dates and not when the food officially goes off from what I understand.

If it's been kept frozen/cold and unopened, it should be fine still for a few extra days, 2-4 the most, wouldn't eat anything after that.

Soldato
Use by dates are normally "taste the best" dates and not when the food officially goes off from what I understand.

There is a use by date, and a best before date, that is the difference you are thinking about.

All such foods are use by, stuff like biscuits or coffee and sweets/ cola are best before, as they do not expire.

It is illegal to sell food past its use by date, for each instance found, the fine is £5000.

I have seen food expired before its use by date, it is down to individual shops and how good the staff are, or how crap they are, how busy the shop is, the temperature etc.

Now its cold, so you wont have much problems, just wait for summer and check.

Caporegime
I'd also sniff it and then eat then get on with life.

It is naughty of them selling it though, especially if it's a big chain.
A pound shop or corner shop, I'd practically expect it :p

Soldato
Cue the sanctimonious 40-50somethings telling you how use-by dates are a big conspiracy and smell/visuals should be all you need.

Immunocompromised people on medication mixed with fouled meat could lead to death, take it back and get your money back.. tell them you expect a full investigation to take place to ensure it doesn't happen again and contact the local food trading standards and inform them, shops are used to having inspections multiple times a year to keep them in check..

I ran a restaurant, and had inspections at least twice a year, never got lower than a 5* and was glad to see them coming frequently as it gave me confidence in my own staff.

Soldato
A number of years ago I used to be a senior fresh food retail manager for Tesco (Extra format), and date/code rotation is and I am guessing still is an absolute mission.

I would be massively surprised if it was done intentionally. The reduced sticker was probably attached outside of where it should be, and the evening rotation team probably missed it because of this.

It doesn't make it right, but these things do happen without malicious intent to get an extra few quid in the till.

If you complain they will roll over and expose their stomach and offer compensation because the fine for out of code food is extreme if there is evidence of process failings.

This is probably the route to go.

Back
Top Bottom