Soldered Ram - Adding a DIMM - Dual Channel?

Associate
My works laptop is struggling from RAM, so I'm going to upgrade using the spare DIMM slot on the board.

Usually, I buy the exact same DIMM that's already running, so it runs dual channel, but this time the memory is soldered.

CPU-Z can't get any information on the installed memory, so I'm a bit stuck. I've even opened it up, and I can't even find the soldered RAM, nevermind get any codes off it.

I can get the speed and timings from CPUZ memory tab, just not the exact details of the DIMM as the SPD tab is totally blank for both slots.

Laptop is a Thinkpad T495
Model 20NKS01W0K
SN PF1DEWJ4

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Laptop Model number ?
should give you details on website.
Did you find the the second dimm slot ?

Sorry, didn't see this when I updated the OP.

Laptop is a Thinkpad T495
Model 20NKS01W0K
SN PF1DEWJ4

Website doesn't give any info, unless I missed it. I even went through every single part, down to the screws!

Associate
OP
A quick Google memory upgrade for T495 gives.

DDR4 PC4-21300 2666MHz 260-pin SODIMM
CPU-Z Memory tab shows
DDR4 8GB
Uncore Frequency 1197.6Mhz (so 2400?)
CAS 17

I found a Command line that also told me its Samsung RAM.

Is there another tool I can use to find out more, or do you think I'm safe to just buy a Samsung 8GB 2400 CAS 17 dimm?

Also, I spoke to Lenovo, not too much help really, they passed me a tech sheet which sort of confirms what you said, but doesn't help to match the RAM - Is that actually needed these days, or can you mix and match and still get dual channel? Last time I did this I was told to buy the EXACT same code on the sticker or it might not work.

This is the tech specs from Lenovo:

Memory Memory Type: DDR4-2400*
Memory Slots: One memory soldered to systemboard, one DDR4 SO-DIMM slot, dual-channel capable
Max Memory: Up to 24GB (8GB soldered + 16GB SO-DIMM) DDR4-2400

Notes: * Installed memory is actually 2666MHz but run at 2400MHz due to processor limitation

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Lenovo's answer:

Upon checking the specification of your laptop, it has one DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM slot, dual-channel capable. You can additional 16 GB DDR4-2400, any brands will do. Let us know if you have any other concern

Back
Top Bottom