Solid State Active Cooling Could Revolutionize Thermals, sounds awesome.

Soldato
Besides being smaller, noisless & maybe better power efficacy, I sound like you can know how much you need for what chip, instead of looking it up on google. So the freaken TWP sys may make sense.

Soldato
Besides being smaller, noisless & maybe better power efficacy, I sound like you can know how much you need for what chip, instead of looking it up on google. So the freaken TWP sys may make sense.
thats pretty cool, I can imagine it on mobiles and laptops, that small one could only handle 5w though

Soldato
Am I the only person who doesn't find these particularly impressive? Even the larger model is limited to something like 15W. My slim ultrabook has a kick-up 25W mode.

Just seems like it won't actually help much with high power scenarios, just make ultra low power devices quieter.

The heat will always have to go somewhere so it's not likely to actually make much difference to end user products IMO. Not for years certainly, whereas power scaling/dynamic clock stuff has come along immensely the last 5 or so years.

Soldato
OP
Am I the only person who doesn't find these particularly impressive? Even the larger model is limited to something like 15W. My slim ultrabook has a kick-up 25W mode.

Just seems like it won't actually help much with high power scenarios, just make ultra low power devices quieter.

The heat will always have to go somewhere so it's not likely to actually make much difference to end user products IMO. Not for years certainly, whereas power scaling/dynamic clock stuff has come along immensely the last 5 or so years.
They are just introducing the tech, I am sure they will get better.

Soldato

It's not revolutionary tech but designing it into a form that can beneficially replace normal fans in certain scenarios is interesting.

I think he was dodging an apples to apples comparison. He used a large compact fan to compare the pressure but that's not the same thing as saying his chip was its equal in cooling performance. In addition the main media posters and physical samples illustrate one of their bare chips compared to a small fan not much bigger but strapped to a heatpipe and heat spreader which in the interview he states would also be essential for his chips. Missing from the presented comparison though.

The points he was happy to be clear about were that the chips are silent (grain of salt here because air jets are capable of being a noise source and we didn't hear a demo) and that the high pressure could allow better dust proofing.

Dunno about his thickness measurements since his sample was bare while the fan was equipped with a heatpipe and spreader and I don't recall him saying that fan was equivalent in performance anyway.

Still, quiet and possibly more robust and reliable is a sales angle.

Soldato

Think you've slightly missed the point with how it's applied. In a laptop, for example, you would have a large flat heatspreader joined by heat pipes and put a blanket of like 4 of these on the heatspreader. It's an excellent idea I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think you've slightly missed the point with how it's applied. In a laptop, for example, you would have a large flat heatspreader joined by heat pipes and put a blanket of like 4 of these on the heatspreader. It's an excellent idea I think.
I think that's what bugs me about it - it doesn't look like it will improve performance per se, just noise. Will still rely on some form of thermal mass to contact the chip.

I love quiet, I just don't know if this is as revolutionary as it seems, I would be more impressed by something that takes a 250W gaming laptop and makes it run below 90°C :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wonder how big they can make them?
Man, imagine when they start getting good enough to handle the hight wat things. They can start making Desktop GPUs small as the laptop ones & be able to cool them. Maybe a killer sys can go in something likr a NES case & be fine. I am sort of wanting to put a sys like mine in a C64 keyboard case.
MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR.

Soldato
Man, imagine when they start getting good enough to handle the hight wat things. They can start making Desktop GPUs small as the laptop ones & be able to cool them. Maybe a killer sys can go in something likr a NES case & be fine. I am sort of wanting to put a sys like mine in a C64 keyboard case.
MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR.

I was thinking about turning a case side panel into a giant radiator/heatspreader with one of these :D

Soldato
I was thinking about turning a case side panel into a giant radiator/heatspreader with one of these :D
That's been done...

The heat still has to go somewhere.

Soldato
That's been done...

The heat still has to go somewhere.

I was thinking something more like this

But designed to incorporate these thin cooling units to blow air up vertically through the side panel so take in cool air at the bottom, blow through the radiator vertically and output at the top.

Soldato
OP
Any one know the Velka 7? If that was 8" deep, so my GPU could face front to back, instead of the odd 90 degree trist. I would so want that case.

Soldato
I think that's what bugs me about it - it doesn't look like it will improve performance per se, just noise. Will still rely on some form of thermal mass to contact the chip.

I love quiet, I just don't know if this is as revolutionary as it seems, I would be more impressed by something that takes a 250W gaming laptop and makes it run below 90°C :)
If you can keep it cooler you can run it faster. So it will be able to take your gaming laptop and run it at a reasonable temperature, eventually, whereas it's impossible with a fan.

Soldato
OP
If you can keep it cooler you can run it faster. So it will be able to take your gaming laptop and run it at a reasonable temperature, eventually, whereas it's impossible with a fan.
Well, it would be so cool if Desktop GPUs could shrink to Laptop GPU size. That is one of the things keeping you from putting a real GPU in a small case. Not sure why they don't just make the GPU just consist of 1 chip like a CPU, that you can just put on a MB, like why not have MBs that are like the 2 cpu ones, only one is a GPU instead & that side you can get VRam to compliment it?

Soldato

I don't see anything saying this has higher cooling capacity for the size than a fan including the guy advertising it.

Soldato
Well, it would be so cool if Desktop GPUs could shrink to Laptop GPU size. That is one of the things keeping you from putting a real GPU in a small case. Not sure why they don't just make the GPU just consist of 1 chip like a CPU, that you can just put on a MB, like why not have MBs that are like the 2 cpu ones, only one is a GPU instead & that side you can get VRam to compliment it?
You'd just be moving all the contents of the graphics card PCB (memory, voltage regulation and power delivery) onto the motherboard. But all those components change depending on the graphics chip so a motherboard would have to be designed for one specific graphics mode only.

Soldato
I don't see anything saying this has higher cooling capacity for the size than a fan including the guy advertising it.
Because it's 15w cooling capability (currently) PER CHIP. You can't put 8 fans in a laptop, you get one or two at the most, but you can put 8 of these on a heatspreader. He does talk about this a bit during the interview.

Last edited:
Associate
The ability to not lose any flow when pulling through a dust filter would be pretty awesome too. That would likely increase performance (vs laptops clogged with dust after a year or two!)

Soldato
Because it's 15w cooling capability (currently) PER CHIP. You can't put 8 fans in a laptop, you get one or two at the most, but you can put 8 of these on a heatspreader. He does talk about this a bit during the interview.

What are you trying to say.

Laptops are currently cooled by fans especially gaming laptops. The number of fans has no bearing on their cooling capacity. A 250W gaming laptop will have maybe 2 fans, considerably larger and more powerful than the midget one demonstrated.

No part of the advertising or the guy promoting his company says the chips have better cooling performance than fans.

He IS promoting it on having less noise and higher pressure (which in certain circumstances could lead to an advantage)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom