Solid Well Made Wood Beds - Where To Buy

Associate
Hi folks. In the past i had a bed from ikea, it squeeked like hell and no matter what brackets and screws i added, it still squeaked. I then bought an old second hand pine sleigh bed, it is solid, it has heavy duty brackets and long bolts holding it all together, it does not squeak and there is no play when you shake the headboard. It does need replaced now as it looks very old and tired.

So where can i buy a really solid bed online. I dont want to spend any more than 800 if possible for the frame. I have checked a few furniture shops like oakfurnitureland and the headboards dont inspire much confidence, when you shake them there is movement where the side beams meet the headboard. So im looking for something which is much more solid when assembled.

Any suggestions please.

Soldato
After similar searches, we got ours from Bensons for Beds. It's solid oak with under bed drawers and was around £650 all in. I was able to negotiate I think around 8% off instore as well by quoting cashback offers, etc online.

Caporegime
You don't need to spend more than £300 on a frame if your sensible. Mattress is the most important part and the frame is just that a frame which supports a mattress.

You could for example get a pile of bricks and through a £2000 mattress on top of it.

There is a guy on here that built a frame out of used wooden pallets for example.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...hUKEwjmmezIpLPSAhUnKcAKHdQvCj4Q_AUIBigB&dpr=1

you should be able to get wooden pallets for free from any local industrial complex

Associate
OP

Thanks, i have already came across these beds on this site, they look amazing, a 12 week wait though, also im not sure this is the style im after.

You don't need to spend more than £300 on a frame if your sensible. Mattress is the most important part and the frame is just that a frame which supports a mattress.

You could for example get a pile of bricks and through a £2000 mattress on top of it.

There is a guy on here that built a frame out of used wooden pallets for example.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...hUKEwjmmezIpLPSAhUnKcAKHdQvCj4Q_AUIBigB&dpr=1

you should be able to get wooden pallets for free from any local industrial complex

If you want a solid well made wooden bed, you wont get it for that price, even second hand would cost more than 300. I have learned my lesson, i dont want another cheapo squeeky bed.

After similar searches, we got ours from Bensons for Beds. It's solid oak with under bed drawers and was around £650 all in. I was able to negotiate I think around 8% off instore as well by quoting cashback offers, etc online.

I had a look there but its the same old story, im not convinced the joints are strong enough to last for years without becoming loose and squeeking. They are much the same as the beds in the other retail stores.

We got one from Brands Interiors, seems excellent for the price.

Ill have a look thanks for the suggestion

Caporegime
If you want a solid well made wooden bed, you wont get it for that price, even second hand would cost more than 300. I have learned my lesson, i dont want another cheapo squeeky bed.

A bed is just a frame. like I said you could use a pile of bricks for £50 or whatever. What could be more solid than that?

Take a look at my link I posted above wooden pallets are built to hold several hundred kilo's of weight.

You can build your own solid bed for less than £50. There is no need to spend HUGE money on the frame. but if your going to be ignorant and ignore this then go ahead it's your money your throwing away.

you bought a crap bed last time around but you don't need to spend lots of money to get a decent frame.

I would quite happily spend £1000 on a mattress and £50 on a bed frame if it's the right frame.

Soldato
Thanks, i have already came across these beds on this site, they look amazing, a 12 week wait though, also im not sure this is the style im after.

I had a look there but its the same old story, im not convinced the joints are strong enough to last for years without becoming loose and squeeking. They are much the same as the beds in the other retail stores.

Ill have a look thanks for the suggestion

Had the same kind of worries, but having seen how they go together I've no regrets with my purchase and it's solid as a rock. Can always tighten up the connecting bolts as well.

Don
Mine was either M&S or John Lewis can't remember for sure. The Keep range I think it was called. Gives you an idea of how solid the furniture is. Delivery guys almost keeled over humfing it all in.

Soldato
See if you can find a local company. Usually if you spend enough (I bought a load of furniture) they will deliver and even put it together :p

I hated the thought of spending £££ without seeing an item such as a bed first

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions and links guys, i have checked them all out but i have not really seen anything i like enough, a lot of the wooden beds are not chunky enough. Also most of them look like they are just assembled with brackets at the side rails, i cant help but think after a long time these will start to get play. I guess im being paranoid. As someone said its probably best to see the bed before buying. I have found a few places that sell chunky wooden beds which are hand made but they all seem to have a long delivery time. I guess i will keep looking and maybe get my but around some more of the shops. Pity there is not a warren evans near me as they do look like they are made well.

Back
Top Bottom