[solved] Gigabyte H510m s2h not POSTing - graphics issue??

Associate
Hi All

I've just put together my new rig and it won't POST. I get 5 long beeps which on the face of it is a CPU error. But I've done some research and looking for advice.

I have a Gigabyte H510m s2h mobo, an Intel Core i3 10105F CPU (no on-board graphics), and Crucial Ballistix 8Gb DDR4 RAM. All on the Gigabyte compatibility list.

But it won't POST. I've re-seated the CPU, shifted the RAM slots, put in an HDMI monitor in the mobo HDMI port, and put in my (old) AMD Radeon HD6750 GPU in to the mobo and plugged in monitor via that. Reset the CMOS jumper. Still no POSTing.

I saw this thread which seems to indicate having no / old GPU will stop some new mobos POSTing. Can that be right??

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/jbbjmb/5_beep_code_error/gnyigzc/?context=8&depth=9

Any advice / workarounds much appreciated!!

Associate
OP
well that's good to hear. Can hopefully rule out the GPU.

I took out the cpu and looked at the pins on the mobo under a magnifying glass from different angles - they all look perfect. the pads on the cpu all look nice and shiny.

Interesting thing - when I re-tested it still didn't POST but instead of the 'cpu error' beeps I got a 'memory error' beep instead, after about 20 seconds of it trying to boot. Same result whichever channel I put the stick in. So now I'm thinking it might be a memory issue.

I don't have another DDR4 mobo so can't test the RAM stick (do people still use memtest?) So I've ordered another stick. Bit of an expensive way to troubleshoot but if it won't POST I don't know any other way...

I'll let you know how I get on.

Soldato
well that's good to hear. Can hopefully rule out the GPU.

I took out the cpu and looked at the pins on the mobo under a magnifying glass from different angles - they all look perfect. the pads on the cpu all look nice and shiny.

Interesting thing - when I re-tested it still didn't POST but instead of the 'cpu error' beeps I got a 'memory error' beep instead, after about 20 seconds of it trying to boot. Same result whichever channel I put the stick in. So now I'm thinking it might be a memory issue.

I don't have another DDR4 mobo so can't test the RAM stick (do people still use memtest?) So I've ordered another stick. Bit of an expensive way to troubleshoot but if it won't POST I don't know any other way...

I'll let you know how I get on.

Why not ask for someone local to you for help instead of buying memory that you might not need.

Associate
OP
well, kudos to my parts supplier - the parts I swapped out for testing purposes were all fully refunded with no hassle. Result.

TL;DR - my mobo did not want to post without sensing a monitor, and despite a good mobo, good cpu, good ram, with no monitor detected it failed POST with 5 short beeps ('cpu error' code).
I stuck one of these EDID emulators - £3.50 off amazon - into the HDMI port, with a cpu with onboard graphics, and posted fine. Took the emulator out, failed with 'cpu error'. Put the emulator back in, all fine.

Very poor documentation from the manufacturer - no mention of this requirement anywhere. Very poor POST error codes - 'no monitor' isn't the same as 'cpu error'!

Anyway, hopefully this is helpful for someone out there at some point!

Back
Top Bottom