[Solved] Memory issues not sure if bios is needed?

Soldato
so I finally got round to sorting my skylake system out, I purchased crucial ram the other day for clearance of my cooler due to vipers being too tall, anyways they are 2 single 4gb sticks as I needed to test the fit with my cooler, felt no need to buy a single 8 gb after the success, but all is not what it seems and I can’t tell if it’s hardware or software related.

So bios reads 4gb not 8, task manager and ‘about’ lists as 4gb too although suggests my board has 4 dims when it doesn’t :rolleyes:, so i installed cpuz and while it says single channel it does say I have 8gb and options to see both installed memory? Now the other strange thing is the ram slot near the cooler doesn’t seem to give visual on boot yet does with both sticks in :confused:, so I’m confused whether I’ve got hardware issues or I need to try get it to run in dual channel if that’s even possible?

It’s the gigabyte H110M - S2H motherboard and ok using a i3 6100.

Soldato
OP
Try each stick in slot 1 if they both work try them together then swap them around. Should then be able to tell what's up.
Andi.

Thanks for reply.

I’ve tried both on the same slot and same result, they work together or a single sticks works in the further away slot, it seems like the slot isn’t working however when I’ve had bad ram slot before it would never boot with 2 sticks on which is why it confuses me, I don’t have a speaker to hear beeps, but it should work it one is bad, I don’t have any other ram to test, certainly not in a dual channel format that will fit with the cooler, I’ve got an intel cooler I could try I suppose, but it doesn’t make sense to why is says 4gb and software like CPUZ says I’ve got 8gb via 2 sticks.

Soldato
OP
After a lot of faffing around as well as hardware changing, in the end I updated the bios to the latest F25 for the board and while I’ve got my dual channel kit in currently, it all worked fine and detects the ram as it should in bios etc and in this case in dual channel mode too, now that’s a relief ha.

Soldato
Glad you got it working in the end.

A few years ago I bought the Crucial Ballistix DDR3 for a sandy bridge build.

Easily the most horrible, incompatible RAM I’ve ever owned.

Team group and anything Samsung based has been my go to since.

Back
Top Bottom