Some advice needed.

Soldato
Hi iv been wondering if I would get more out of my cans with a headphone amp or similar.

My set up is: Asus Xonar D2X > Stock 3.5mm jack cable > Goldring DR150.

Im mostly listening to MP3 songs and watching the odd bluray or playing games. Im not looking to spend a fortune. No more than £70 but im happy to buy a used item.

I just want to know first if its worth it?

Thanks.

Associate
I've no idea if you need one or not, I know people with the NS1000s swear by using a headphone amp, but a great value portable one is the FiiO E5 which can be found for >£20 in some places.

Associate
I find the 150s have very little if any need for an amp, just my personal opinion of course, if you know anyone with an E5 or any type of headphone amp my suggestion would be to see if you could try it out with your system - always trust your ears, never someone else's opinion :)

Soldato
The NS1000s in passive mode are the closest thing to a 'night and day' difference I've heard (these things are frequently exaggerated in the audio world) between adequate and inadequate amping.

The change in DR150s when adding an amp is much more subtle. They are relatively easy to drive with a soundcard. Having said that, I do enjoy pairing my DR150s with a cheap tube amp and I've heard others report something similar. Some people claim that they've had great results pairing DR150s with higher end amps but not tried it out myself. I use mine with a Bravo Audio amp and it's a pleasing combo. Look out for Bravo or Indeed amps on the bay and you'll see what I mean. They're cheap as chips but build quality isn't exactly robust. Great sounding for the money though.

Edit: should just mention the Bravo and Indeed can be pretty poor for picking up interference. Grounding helps though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom