• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Some advice on upgrading my Core I5 2500k

Associate
Hi chaps

Need some advice, I purchased a motherboard package from Overclockers UK many years ago.

My PC spec is as follow, I've added bits & pieces over the years:

Core i5 2500k (Overclocked to 4ghz) + Corsair H80i CPU water cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Motherboard
32GB DDR3 Ram (9,9,9,28)
Pallit GTX980
Acer G Sync Monitor @ 1920 x 1080
Various Hard Drives
Windows 10 (64 bit)

When I purchased the Motherboard package it came with a file preinstalled in the bios to run @ 4ghz. However I'm getting the feeling that my i5 is holding my frame rate back in certain games (Witcher 3 as an example) so I'm debating whether to pick up a second hand Core i7 3770k. I don't want to bin my Sandybridge set up as starting over again is a sizeable investment and especially in the current climate probably not the smartest option.

To install an i7 I will need to upgrade my motherboard bios to version F8 according to the Gigabyte website, however what I'm not sure about is that if I do this will I automatically lose the overclocked file that was installed?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I have no clue whatsoever how to overclock a CPU

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Associate
Honestly, I've done the same upgrade when my 2500k was killed by a faulty power supply, and I would have rather just saved the cash for a future upgrade. It was marginally faster (5-10%) in benchmarks, but I doubt you could tell the difference in games. If you can get a 3770k at a decent price it might be worth it, but I can't see any on ebay for less than about £100.

The bios would definitely reset if you update it or change the CPU, but it shouldn't be too tricky to get back to 4-4.2ghz. There's loads of guides online, like in this thread -https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/beginners-guide-to-overclocking.17612922/ and from what I remember, you can basically just change the clock multiplier to 40 and leave everything else on auto.

Associate
OP
Thanks mate

Out of interest did you notice a drop in temperatures with the i7 compared to i5? Just noticed its a 22mm.

Cheers
George

gEd

gEd

Associate
I''ve got a 2500K running in a different motherboard (P67-UD4-B3) and (when previously used in my main rig for gaming) I had mine running at 4.3Ghz very easily, simply by changing the multiplier, nothing else at all.
I'd definitely recommend that you try this first and follow the guide linked above. It's not that hard with that CPU (can't be if I was able to do it)..

i7 prices seems to be holding up really well and £100+ is a big chunk of cash to spend on such old tech.

With the current uncertainties in the world, I'd want to be really sure that my financial situation was rock solid before spending a big chunk of cash on a complete new rig to improve FTS in some games. (maybe drop some quality settings instead).

Associate
Thanks mate

Out of interest did you notice a drop in temperatures with the i7 compared to i5? Just noticed its a 22mm.

Cheers
George

Not a massive one, it might have been 5 degrees or so, but I never checked at stock, so that might just be because of the OC I had. The 3770k does use less power, but it's also a smaller die, so it probably just evens out.

Caporegime
I''ve got a 2500K running in a different motherboard (P67-UD4-B3) and (when previously used in my main rig for gaming) I had mine running at 4.3Ghz very easily, simply by changing the multiplier, nothing else at all.
I'd definitely recommend that you try this first and follow the guide linked above. It's not that hard with that CPU (can't be if I was able to do it)..

i7 prices seems to be holding up really well and £100+ is a big chunk of cash to spend on such old tech.

With the current uncertainties in the world, I'd want to be really sure that my financial situation was rock solid before spending a big chunk of cash on a complete new rig to improve FTS in some games. (maybe drop some quality settings instead).
My 2500K also went to 4.2Ghz with a multiplier change and nothing else. It’s still running in my sons machine now, also with a GTX 980.

OP you can get 16GB DDR4, an AMD 1600AF or one of the just launched low end Ryzen and a suitable motherboard for £300 or so. Be careful what you spend on your ‘upgrade’

Soldato
OP you can get 16GB DDR4, an AMD 1600AF or one of the just launched low end Ryzen and a suitable motherboard for £300 or so. Be careful what you spend on your ‘upgrade’
This in a nutshell, spending £100 now on an 8 year old CPU just isn't worth it when putting it towards something new gets you so much more performance these days.

Soldato
Don't waste your money. Hold on, save up and a B450 Tomahawk and a 3600 with some Crucial Ballistix DDR4 isn't too expensive, around £350.

Associate
I did this upgrade to run AC Odyssey 12 months ago. The main reason being people were telling me modern console games were coded for 8 cores and 4 cores were causing a bottleneck. I don't game all that much and didn't want to spend the money because I'm w/c and it's not a 'five minute job' upgrading.

It did make a difference, and now the ONLY game I can't play at 60 FPS high settings with my 980 (same as you) is Shadows of the TR. All other games run fine and I'm glad I got the boost I needed for the small investment.

I'll be honest, I didn't pay £100 for the CPU, it was closer to £60 so my advice would be to shop around and see if you can get one cheap. They run a LOT hotter than Sandybridge does when overclocked, so make sure you have good cooling.

Make sure you have an SSD too, like LeMson says.

C64

C64

Soldato
get that 2500k at 4.5 ghz don't be scared I ran one for years at 1.48 - 1.49 volts theres very little degradation on 2500k 2600k it would seem

a lot will hold 4.5-4.6 ghz at 1.40 volts and less, worth noting to up the qpi/vtt voltage to at least 1.120 with 4 sticks of ram if you want 4.5 ghz +

I'll post later my settings in bios i have a similar board

Back
Top Bottom