Some Advice

Soldato
Just employers being dicks at the moment. Seems be many, global pandemic, you ain't getting another job elsewhere, do X amount more for nothing extra in return........

The lot I work for have done that, we were targeted to 100 points a day minimum, just put to 150 points, nothing has changed, no system or process improvements.... It's ******** but what you gonna do?

Soldato
OP
Why is op doing 150hrs overtime a year for free

what a mug

Because its a salary based job and contract states that additional hours may be required for certain tasks. And because I would rather a job was done properly rather than rushed and possibly needing doing a second time I put the hours in. It's having pride in the work you do, not being a mug

Caporegime
Why is op doing 150hrs overtime a year for free

what a mug

The OP is working five hours less than their contracted hours every week so is it really overtime?

Because its a salary based job and contract states that additional hours may be required for certain tasks. And because I would rather a job was done properly rather than rushed and possibly needing doing a second time I put the hours in. It's having pride in the work you do, not being a mug

Even with the "overtime" you're not working your contracted 37.5 hours on average never mind "putting the hours in".

Caporegime
Really? So dropping 2.5 hours a week over 52 weeks is more than 150? Don't think so

You have an unpaid 30 minute break so you're actually working 32.5 hours a week, five hours less than your contract.

Yeh they don't expect people to make up the time from previous years, just starting from Monday they have to do the additional 30 mins, which still isn't correct as everyone in the office gets 30 min unpaid break, so will actually take it from 32.5-35 hours but again, that concept has escaped their grasp

Soldato
I think it's absolutely correct that you should be working your contracted 37.5 hours a week, obviously the company has realised it's error and decided to enforce this contractual obligation (how it took them 7 years to realise this is just mind boggling), I don't think you'll have much comeback in the "we've always done it so you can't force us to work more" stakes, remember the Posties going on strike because they always used to be able to go home when their rounds were done but RM decided to force them to work their full contracted 7.5 hours (or what ever it was) so they now amble around at a snails pace so they don't have to go back to the depot to sort mail.

I personally would look at it luckily you've (or at least all the office based staff) been finishing half an hour early everyday but unfortunately that's now been taken away although the company would find they cannot retrospectively force you to work previous time (or try to recover over-payments) as the error was on their part not the employees.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wait, he is not a he? :eek:

Did you just assume their gender you monster. :eek:

Anyway, it all depends on how much they are paying the rank and file staff really. If there was always an understanding that the salary was poor but the perk was that working hours were less then they will probably lose many of their staff. If the pay is par for the course in that job then asking them to work 37.5 hours after years of getting a bit of a free ride I wouldn't have an issue with that.

Back
Top Bottom