Some help needed.

Associate
So, I asked a few questions recently regarding an upgrade for gaming and the possibility of upgrading from 1080 to 1440. I made the decision to follow my suggestions and first try out a 1440p monitor with my system and go from there.
I purchased a Predator X34P at a good price and I love it, However I am obviously now experiencing FPS drops and so on. Most games I play currently are ok but with the release of new games like Division 2/Anthem/Resi 2 and more I will be requiring the upgrade.

So....The question is 'Where do I go from here?'

Choices are:
1. Upgrade Mobo/CPU/GPU/RAM now
2. Upgrade GPU
3. Upgrade GPU and wait for New Ryzen 3

Some of my thoughts and preferences are as follows;
1. I'm super excited for a new PC so waiting for Ryzen 3 may be tough. But i'm not stupid and if the benefits are great enough I will do my best to wait.
2. A 2080ti is out of the question. I cannot justify £1100 on a GPU regardless of how much I want it.
3. I would like to play as close to 'ultra' settings as I can but it isn't the end of the world
4. Budget? No idea. Obviously the cheaper the better right? But lets try and keep it below 1.5k being as I'm sure I can use some of my current kit.

My current Rig;
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower Case
CPU: Intel 4820K 3.70GHz (Ivybridge-E) Socket LGA2011
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H105 Extreme Performance Liquid Cooler
Mobo: Asus P9X79 Intel X79 (Socket 2011)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 780Ti DirectCU II 3072MB GDDR5
PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1000W Fully Modular "80 Plus Gold" (Overkill I know but this was because the 850w Corsair was no longer in stock and OCUK substituted this in instead)
SSD: Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

Thank you all

Soldato
Your CPU is still good; you don't need to upgrade it. All you need to do is upgrade your GPU. Just get the best Geforce card you can afford.

A test for you: run your games at Medium settings and see how they fare. 4 years ago I was running games at 4k on a 780 Ti.

Soldato
Firstly, overclock the CPU to 4.2 -.5ghz , even though your not CPU bound, most games still like a single/dual fast core regardless .
and on paper will outperforming ryzen 2600 due to IPC and clock speed with current games due to not using threads very well , again specially if you overclock it !

GPU upgrade

RTX 2070 min , but if you can push the 2080 then outstanding - as you say the 2080ti is quite expensive cookie .

gaming performance of 1070 over your 780Ti should be quite high, specially now 1440/4k do use over 3GB of VRam

Associate
OP
I still find hard to swallow that my CPU will still hold its own with newer games. But it seems like the best route would be to just upgrade my GPU for now and go from there. If I do have any issues I can always upgrade the rest down the line regardless.

'A test for you: run your games at Medium settings and see how they fare. 4 years ago I was running games at 4k on a 780 Ti'
I have been doing this for approx a month and as soon as I start to hit medium-high I do notice some severe FPS drops. But as orbital has stated games are beginning to use more and more Vram and 3gb just doesn't seem to be cutting the it any more.

In terms of DDR3 and DDR4. I assume the difference is negligible being as no one has specified anything?

So if I were to go with a 2080 would you recommend a specific one? There is a disparity in pricing currently so some advice on this wouldn't go amiss.

Back
Top Bottom