Some MEM Timings Help 4 a NOOB Please :-)

Associate
Thanx I got RAID 0 and sorted it, its wicked.

Bit more advice tho Please :D

I normally leave all settings on auto in bios, however my new ram, I went in bios, changed fsb/memory to unlinked.

Then changed mem speed to 800 which it was on anyway.

And on the basis mem timings just changed each one to 4 4 4 then 12 (as it says on the mem stick).

I left the CPU one?? as 1(default) just after the basic timings(it had up to 2).

IS THAT RIGHT?
SHOULD I JUST USE USE AUTO AND IT WILL FIND MY MEM SPEED AUTOMATICALLY?
DOES IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO DO WHAT I DID?

Help as always is appreciated

Associate
OP
Ok,

THIS IS WHAT I CHANGED IN THE BIOS FOR MY 2 X 1 GIG STICKS OF CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800 MHZ LATENCY OF 4-4-4-12

The settings I changed in detail were:

tCL (CAS Latency) - 4
tRCD - 4
tRP- 4
tRAS - 12

As it says 4-4-4-12 on the mem stick(they were all normally set at auto, as default). Is this OK????

The CPU THING, was in fact Command Per Clock(CMD) which had two options 1 clock and 2 clock I left it at 2 clock

WAS THIS OK, I hope I did it right, the normal settings for all these were auto with Command Per Clock(CMD) as 1(which I left it as)

Thanx as always

Associate
OP
ALSO changed FSB (QDR) MHZ FROM AUTO TO 800

And left FSB Memory Ratio at Auto

Hope this is right???

I can pm for some reason so hope someone can help :confused:

Soldato
Right, depending on the CPU, FSB (QDR) should be 800mhz for an E4x00 Core 2 and 1066mhz for a E6x00 Core 2.

FSB memory ratio should be 2:1 for stock speeds, but your RAM can do better and 5:4 should get you 800mhz (unless you can simply just set the memory speed which I believe you can from what you have said)

Everything else is set correctly.

Command per clock should be 2 also.

Hope that helps. :).

Back
Top Bottom