some must get programs for new mac?

Soldato
ive got a new macbook and am new to mac computers. (have iphone)

what are some of the programs i should be getting just to make things easier / do a little customization?

i read about people cycling batteries also, whats this?

right now all ive done is put on google chrome and the photobucket iphoto extension

thx for suggestions!

Associate
An essential day one download for me is magicprefs. It adds additional gestures to the mouse, but the main functionality is that it can double the tracking speed of the mouse. Something I found quite annoying from the start.

Soldato
magicprefs - mouse software
perian - video cocec
flip4mac - video codec
skitch - image hosting
transmission - torrents
sabnzbd+ - newsgroups (or unison)

Obviously there's a million others but it depends what you do, the first four especially I would consider must haves

Associate
In addition to those listed:

Handbrake - DVD ripping
VLC - For when QT + Perian + Flip4Mac can't handle it (very rare)
Caffeine - Stop your Mac going to sleep! (I've also heard about InsomniaX, but I've always used Caffeine)

Associate
I can't bring anything to the table unfortunately as i'm still relatively new to Macs, but just wanted to say a MASSIVE thanks to Turbo-G and PardonTheWait for recommending magicprefs. I was going insane with how long it took to track the cursor across my screen, but now i'm :D.

Soldato
I can't bring anything to the table unfortunately as i'm still relatively new to Macs, but just wanted to say a MASSIVE thanks to Turbo-G and PardonTheWait for recommending magicprefs. I was going insane with how long it took to track the cursor across my screen, but now i'm :D.

One thing you might not be aware of - if you move your mouse physically faster, it will move further on the screen.

This lets you be precise when you want to, and move the cursor large distances when you need to as well.

I leave the mouse speed standard on every single mac I use, I can't stand fast mice. Spend a bit more time with the normal settings, or speed them up a bit, and experiment with physically moving it faster. Once you're used to it it's nice.

Back
Top Bottom