Some New Bits Please :-)

Associate
Hi Guys,

I have not upgraded for a while and am in a position at the end of the month when Windows 7 gets released to spend some money on upgrading and need some advice on the following parts...

Mobo
Processor
Ram
Graphics card, should I get a 5870 or wait for a x2 version, I currently have a GTX 285 and am wondering if the performance difference is going to be that much to warrant spending £300.00?!

I have pretty much everything else covered, am just unsure what the best mobo/processor option is?!!

The PC will be used for playing games and that is it, all moden and future titles. Any advice would be most welcome.

Kind Regards,
Lea

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, current spec is as follows:

Q6600 overclocked to 3.6
Abit Pro Mobo
4 Gb Ram

I currently game at 5040 x 1050 but wanted Eye tech to have the ability to game at 5760 x 1200 or is the performance increase just not really worth it atm?!

Any help is appreciated as when I get windows 7 I would like upgrade perhaps the mobor/ram/processor.

Many thanks,
Lea

Soldato
with going to windows 7 and your plan for future games i would say go for the 5870 for the dx11 compliance, also you would make good money back at the moment for your 285, but if prices dropp on them you could loose a lot, at moment selling your 285 would be best in my mind , probly only cost you £80 for the 5870 if you sell now

Soldato
Sounds like you got a pretty good setup already.

All I would consider is more ram and going 64bit win7.

Also consider a newer faster HDD or SSD for a fresh install.

Associate
If You manly going to just to play games i would stick with what you got q6600 is still an amazing cpu can the 285 handle all the games you olay smooth?
i agree with plasmahal an ssd drive would be a great upgrade. Its the best noticeable upgrade i have made.

Back
Top Bottom