Some newbie questions

Associate
I'm planning to go watercooled for my next build which, as long as someone makes a CPU block for it, will be Threadripper. Otherwise, I'm going Ryzen.

I've been building PCs since 1999 but I've never tried watercooling so I want to try this time around, mostly because I like the aesthetic and want the challenge. Lower noise would also be welcome!

I have a few generic newbie questions.

1) How is a pump/reservoir mounted in the case? I see them on the side of the motherboard tray, do cases come with standardised screw holes that accommodate them?

2) Is there such a thing as too many rads? At what point does diminishing returns come into play?

3) I've looked at quite a few setups and most have a single loop that flows pump -> cpu -> gpu -> rad or similar. Doesn't transferring liquid from the cpu straight to the gpu (or the other way around) just move heat from one component to the other? Wouldn't it be better to have a radiator in between them?

4) I read that mixing metals is bad, but some components don't seem to list it, looking at the watercooling configurator on OcUK, several mention nickel or acetate, is everything else copper and will work together or is that advice outdated?

5) How do I work out how strong the pump needs to be? Will most pumps be fine for 2-3 radiators and a cpu/gpu block?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
1. Most cases would have a mounting point, I drilled my own holes in my case as I didn't want to use stock ones. You can also get a bracket that allows you mount to radiator.

2. Radiator overkill wont make a difference after so many. Usually the rule is 120mm per component , +120mm. So if you're cooling CPU (120mm) + GPU (120mm) + 120mm, a 360 would be sufficient. But if you're case allows a 480 then no harm in fitting it incase you ever add a second GPU.

3. It doesn't matter the loop order once the res feeds the pump, the water will hit equilibrium temp anyway.

4. What you listed together is fine. Corrosion occurs when mixing aluminium parts with copper parts . 95% parts are copper, EKs new kit is all aluminium though for newbie watercoolers.

5. Stick with a D5 pump.

Associate
OP
Thanks!

3. It doesn't matter the loop order once the res feeds the pump, the water will hit equilibrium temp anyway.

Surely the water that has just left a radiator is cooler than the water going into it? The whole loop can't be the same temp can it?

One more question, With vertical radiators is it better to have the ports at the top or the bottom?

I had assumed the advice would be "Always bottom" for easier draining but I've seen quite a few builds with radiators where the ports are at the top:
http://cdn.overclock.net/1/12/600x4...044479734_27304619_39902171_2097960807_n.jpeg

I'm a total novice but won't that be incredibly hard to drain? liquid would be stuck in the radiator unless you turned the case upside down, wouldn't it?

Associate
Thanks!

Surely the water that has just left a radiator is cooler than the water going into it? The whole loop can't be the same temp can it?

One more question, With vertical radiators is it better to have the ports at the top or the bottom?

I had assumed the advice would be "Always bottom" for easier draining but I've seen quite a few builds with radiators where the ports are at the top:
http://cdn.overclock.net/1/12/600x4...044479734_27304619_39902171_2097960807_n.jpeg

I'm a total novice but won't that be incredibly hard to drain? liquid would be stuck in the radiator unless you turned the case upside down, wouldn't it?

As said above you can lay out your loop whatever looks best, but putting a radiator between CPU and GPU makes little or no difference.

Ive my ports at the top as apparently its easier to bleed, still took me hours mind lol.

Associate

The temperature will even out over the whole loop while you're using the computer. You probably won't notice much of a temperature drop for your cpu, but your gpu temp (under load) should drop considerably if you have them both in the same loop.

Back
Top Bottom