Something lightweight, portable... Lost in options

Associate
So as the title, I'm looking at an Ultrabook type laptop that is light and portable.

Basic requirements are as follows:
Primarily Office based work, so igp is fine, no need for discrete graphics
I'd expect the newer quad core i5 units will be plenty CPU wise
Nothing bigger than 14", but probably 13" ideally
Windows 10, albeit I do have a spare key to use if needs be (I know some of the Dell models come with Ubuntu for a bit cheaper?)
8GB ram would likely be fine again, 16gb would be nice to have
Windows Hello would again be nice to have for convenience, beit Camera or Fingerprint
Thunderbolt 3, to save any messing around with cables in the office. Will be looking for a single docking solution so a 1 cable jobbie. USB-C with charging would also suffice, I wont be making use of the extra bandwidth

So, in terms of options I've seen a few. As mentioned, the Dell XPS13 seems pretty tidy but at the top end price wise. Similarly the Razer Blade Stealth. I've considered the previous gen Razer but the lack of Hello is a bit offputting. Huawei Matebook, perhaps? Samung Notebook 9?

Price wise, I'm looking to stick under £1k for sure. I do also have access to Student pricing owing to being a day release student

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking for a similar laptop too.

What did you go for in the end? did you find a UK supplier for the samsung Notebook 9? they dont seem to be available in the UK. Shame as i have an old "series 9" samsung, and its been great.

I'm quite tempted by a 2 in 1, but its a work PC, so not exactly a requirement. There doesnt appear to be much of a compromise though, so i may get away with it.

HP Envy x360 looks nice, but the Ryzen doesnt seem so effective in mobile form. The HP Spectre x360 looks nice, but a bit pricey.
there are a few lenovo 2 in 1s that look pretty good.

As far as laptops go,

HP Envy looks good for the cash, but i dont really like the silver, there are various Asus Zenbooks that look good too, then there is the XPS13, which seems to be the benchmark, but is pricey. especially if you need more than 256GB of SSD space.

Back
Top Bottom