• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
Let's be honest here most gamers today couldn't give a **** about Quake II. I am not sure why it was chosen as it looks total pants with or without RTX.

If you want to show off top end eye candy effects don't do it with a 20+ year old game.

Associate
Thats just an easy way not to dig into what ray tracing actually is. Toy Story from 1996 every single frame with ray tracing took 4hours to render, compare that to a real time render that can deliver playable frame rates now.

Owning RTX cards or not I still think it's a impressive feat.

I never bought my RTX cards because of the ray tracing support but purely because of the 'ordinary' rasterizer performance.

That's not actually what is happening on RTX cards now though, is it? A 2080ti couldn't render Toy Story in real time, let's get our facts right. What is currently being ray traced in games in real time is still miles off the performance needed to do that sort of movie quality in real time.

Soldato
It's funny how people see this kind of thing as acceptable. I would not accept anything less then the same frame rates without ray tracing now on a card with ray tracing "capabilities".

Yes the tech is impressive and requires massive amounts of power to run 100% but I'd rather have more power at 4k then reinventing the wheel unless that wheel has the same performance as the current one. If that makes sense of course....

Can we please do a search

I want to see the massive complaints thread about AMDs tessellation performance from the first generation. If I recall my 5870 couldn’t even hit 24fps at 1080p in the first Metro game - a top of the line, cost me $700 gpu

Please let’s see alll the non acceptable posts about what must have been a massive issue for the industry.

That's not actually what is happening on RTX cards now though, is it? A 2080ti couldn't render Toy Story in real time, let's get our facts right. What is currently being ray traced in games in real time is still miles off the performance needed to do that sort of movie quality in real time.

It’s an older movie and considering it only needs to hit 24fps I doubt it would be far off. Some of the latest demos put out look even better than toy story did and those rendered ok at under 30fps

Edit: Reddit actually did the research to find exactly what hardware the movie was rendered on and how long it took, extrapolated that out and came to the conclusion you need 2 x 2080ti in SLI to do toy story 1 in real time

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/amp....d_the_2080ti_render_toy_story_1_in_real_time/

Last edited:
Associate
I have to say that quake II RTX looks better than it did, but this is not the way to show off ray tracing as new tech on a 20 year old game with a $1400 card. When that game was released I was using twin voodoo 2 cards in SLi and 20 years ago that game looked cool. Today in a nostalgic way
playing 3 levels of quake II RTX didn't make me go WOW. it was a great game 20 years ago, iconic in its day but really Quake II to show off ray tracing lol bit of a joke I say.

Soldato
Let's be honest here most gamers today couldn't give a **** about Quake II. I am not sure why it was chosen as it looks total pants with or without RTX.

If you want to show off top end eye candy effects don't do it with a 20+ year old game.
This. I'm not quite sure of what Nvidia is trying to show or accomplish.

Associate
My facts are right - I am not saying that a RTX 2080Ti could render Toy Story in real time, I'm not even stating that. But that it can do it with ray tracing with that polygon count Q2 has even at 4k is impressive in real time. Might not be something you appreciate, but I do.

Associate
Graphics market is a replica of the TV to some degree!

We can't even get full 4K right yet they are trying to push into the market 8K what a joke.

Same for Graphics card market, Ray-tracing looks great but it's all designed to push out more expensive hardware so they feel justified.
I've been out of it looking at graphics cards I have a GTX1080 did have a bit of an itch but 2080Ti £1100-£1500 Jesus mother of God what's happened?????

It's insane actually it's very sad.

Caporegime

We can't even get full 4K right yet they are trying to push into the market 8K what a joke.

Same for Graphics card market, Ray-tracing looks great but it's all designed to push out more expensive hardware so they feel justified.
I've been out of it looking at graphics cards I have a GTX1080 did have a bit of an itch but 2080Ti £1100-£1500 Jesus mother of God what's happened?????

Yup, never mind 4k/8k, we're still waiting for HD, havn't got that bugger fully yet, which is an absolute joke, should be bloody standard by now that! :p

Associate
My facts are right - I am not saying that a RTX 2080Ti could render Toy Story in real time, I'm not even stating that. But that it can do it with ray tracing with that polygon count Q2 has even at 4k is impressive in real time. Might not be something you appreciate, but I do.

I just feel the effort would have been better spent on something newer. I'm sure it is impressive, just as the other demos have been (and I include the games that use RT in that). If this is the way future games are going, I think it will be at least another generation before we start to see the real worth of this technology. It is still too much for the current GPUs to handle but hopefully it will get better next gen.

Soldato

Wait, wut? What's wrong with 4k TV's?

Back
Top Bottom