• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Man of Honour
What would be cool is a VRR module to go between two display cables instead of needing fitting directly onto a monitor (like the old Gsync modules). Don't know if that'd even be possible.

The reason for the module is/was that the internal electronics for most monitors (aside from the scalers used for adaptive sync monitors) can't adjust their refresh rate without retraining (delay) usually with a blank frame and that can't be fixed externally - the G-Sync module replaced the scaler.

Soldato
The reason for the module is/was that the internal electronics for most monitors (aside from the scalers used for adaptive sync monitors) can't adjust their refresh rate without retraining (delay) usually with a blank frame and that can't be fixed externally - the G-Sync module replaced the scaler.

Thanks for explaining why it's not feasible, Rroff.

What made me wonder about it was LTT's invite to the screen-testing department at Nvidia, along with Nvidia's complaints that some Freesync screens don't cut the mustard.

Soldato
I used to get hyped with a Nvidia teaser like this, now it's just meh. Could they start the reversal of the damage they have done to their own brand with this new product? I really hope so, as I have 2 Gsync monitors and to be honest if I didn't have them, I wouldn't even consider Nvidia right now.

I'm looking for twice the grunt of my 1080ti, and the most I want to spend is £650. I think I'll be waiting beyond this "super" new product from them. :)

Associate
Super eh? What would be super is Freesync support on G-sync monitors, not that I'd necessarily change from Nvidia (I think my 1080 Ti will be lasting me some time) but just to give the option.

My guess would either be a new top tier card or higher performing parts sans RTX.

Man of Honour
My guess would either be a new top tier card or higher performing parts sans RTX.

I can't see them lopping off RTX - ultimately ray tracing is the direction the industry is going.

EDIT: Only exception there is if they are dictated by the market due to being between a rock and a hard place in terms of prices and selling cards.

Associate
I can't see them lopping off RTX - ultimately ray tracing is the direction the industry is going.

EDIT: Only exception there is if they are dictated by the market due to being between a rock and a hard place in terms of prices and selling cards.

I do have my doubts as to the latter part of my prediction, if only because applying "super" to an inferior per would be nonsensical. Not that it has ever stopped marketing teams before!

Back
Top Bottom