• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Associate
I used the phrase "mid-range" about a billion times in my post - how did you miss it?

Let's not forget that both the 2060 and 2070 cards are TU-106. That's the 3rd tier chip. Tu102 in Titan and 2080 Ti. Tu104 in 2080/S. Tu106 is the third tier chip in the 5th-best and lower cards.

You happy to be paying £500 for the 5th best card and £400 for the 7th best card? Hmm? 7th best. £400. Lol.

As they are all the same architecture with capabilities scaled up and down, the precise SKU of what's under the covers isn't exactly important to me. Price/performance is more at issue, as are features.

(The 2070S is a Tu104, IIRC, with some stuff disabled. We don't yet know what's in a 2080S AFAICT)

Caporegime
As they are all the same architecture with capabilities scaled up and down, the precise SKU of what's under the covers isn't exactly important to me. Price/performance is more at issue, as are features.

(The 2070S is a Tu104, IIRC, with some stuff disabled. We don't yet know what's in a 2080S AFAICT)
Well, last time I bought nVidia the 3rd best card was £160 ish.

How times have changed.

Caporegime
Price/performance in the main got them a bargain brand reputation with little profit. They no longer want to be seen this way and are now looking for profits. Blame everyone that loved being fleeced over the years and went Nvidia. I am not one of them and always picked the best price performance card when i was buying. The market is in this state due to buyers who love having the brand leader for nothing more than they don't want peasant cards that do the same job.

That's honestly not true.
Just see how they've done with Ryzen.

The landscape has never been the same GPU wise and AMD have never had a consistent approach that would get them mindshare.

Associate
Price/performance in the main got them a bargain brand reputation with little profit. They no longer want to be seen this way and are now looking for profits. Blame everyone that loved being fleeced over the years and went Nvidia. I am not one of them and always picked the best price performance card when i was buying. The market is in this state due to buyers who love having the brand leader for nothing more than they don't want peasant cards that do the same job.

What's your evidence there's much profit margin in the Navi launch prices?
Vega didn't seem to have any margin at all and the price shot up for a while.

Soldato
The cpu market is a bit different. AMD have always been able to pick sales up with a good product. They just never had one for a long time now. Also Ryzen was able to double Intels core count at the same price. Ryzen was flat out better in most things bar gaming. Now Ryzen will probably even compete in the gaming world on par. AMD have not been faster than Nvidia for a long time but have offered way better price performance at times in the mid to high end. They haven't been able to come near in the enthusiast section for a long time.

Caporegime
The cpu market is a bit different. AMD have always been able to pick sales up with a good product. They just never had one for a long time now. Also Ryzen was able to double Intels core count at the same price. Ryzen was flat out better in most things bar gaming. Now Ryzen will probably even compete in the gaming world on par. AMD have not been faster than Nvidia for a long time but have offered way better price performance at times in the mid to high end. They haven't been able to come near in the enthusiast section for a long time.

AMD have been faster than Nvidia moreso than they've been on par with Intel time wise.

AMD had doubled Intels core count in 2011 too.
AMD had some positive price/performance CPU products (FX8230) since 2012.

Soldato
AMD have been faster than Nvidia moreso than they've been on par with Intel time wise.

AMD had doubled Intels core count in 2011 too.
AMD had some positive price/performance CPU products (FX8230) since 2012.

We also know that was a crap architecture and bad read of where the markets were heading multi core wise.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Strange Brigade's engine Asura is probably the only or at least one of the very few currently available, optimised by AMD itself, which utilises DX12 and Asynchronous Compute.

It actually isn't cherry picking but instead shows how much the game developers must work in order to utilise the GCN and RDNA architectures properly.

It’s not a graphically taxing game though. I played it yesterday maxed out at 4K and my card only got up to 50C on air. Think only Borderlands 2 is less taxing at 4K.

That’s with a 2080Ti BTW.

Caporegime
We also know that was a crap architecture and bad read of where the markets were heading multi core wise.

I was just pointing out that those things you mentioned had already been done.
The reason Ryzen was well received it just because it was all around good and in some cases exceptional with much better performance and thermal performance etc and much better price/performance.

Can't recall when AMD has ever done that GPU wise to the same degree.

Soldato
I was just pointing out that those things you mentioned had already been done.
The reason Ryzen was well received it just because it was all around good and in some cases exceptional with much better performance and thermal performance etc and much better price/performance.

Can't recall when AMD has ever done that GPU wise to the same degree.

4870/5870 was the last time. Small fast gaming cards with a good price. GCN was designed for all markets so had compromises. Looking back though for longevity it's kept AMD in there just about. Looking forward to seeing where RDNA goes as GCN is to old in the tooth now.

Caporegime
4870/5870 was the last time. Small fast gaming cards with a good price. GCN was designed for all markets so had compromises. Looking back though for longevity it's kept AMD in there just about. Looking forward to seeing where RDNA goes as GCN is to old in the tooth now.

4870 was excellent price/performance but it wasn't best performance.
5870 was excellent price/performance and was best performance until Nvidia released their GPU's.

Caporegime
Doing two builds at once?

One.

I'm not married to either vendor.
I'm pretty much solid on getting a 3900X, but depending how I feel on the day may go 3800X.
However I want a better GPU than my Vega 64. If the 5700XT comes in at the right price point I'd be happy to buy it. But the 2070 super overclocked is offering the performance I want, just more expensive than I want.

Back
Top Bottom