Something to play with my 11 yea old that's not Minecraft

Man of Honour
I echo all that about It Takes Two and just to add, it also has a lot of longevity.

Snowball fights / chases and the mini games are great fun and I'm still playing it with my kids two years (ish?) after we completed it.
TBH my son loved the snowball fights but I got bored of it. We did come back for a second playthrough a year later, it's not quite the same when you know the story but it's a bit more streamlined when you don't get stuck on puzzles as much.
Chases are a good thing to do in the Lego games too.

Left 4 Dead isn't really appropriate for a pre-teen IMO, although the parent will understand best.

Soldato
I play a lot of games with my lad who has just turned 12.

Another vote for It Takes Two, we've played it through twice and loved it on both run throughs.

I'd also suggest the following which we've played a lot and really enjoyed:
Stardew Valley
MotorTown
Pummel Party
Age of Empires
Gang Beasts
Terraria

We've also just started playing Ghost Recon Wildlands which so far is great

Soldato
Quake 3 is my next choice :cry:

I was going to seriously suggest Unreal Tournament 99. Some of my favourite memories of being 10/11 was going to my uncles house who had 4 PCs set up in a room and 4 of us would play UT99 together (Morpheus deathmatch, baby)

Sometimes we'd change and play LAN Starcraft/Warcraft O&H/WC2 and sometimes an old RTS game called Stronghold.

I also used to enjoy playing the Virtua Tennis games with him at that age along with the NeoGeo or Mame emulators and going through some old gems.

Edit: I realise all the games I'm suggesting are now like 20+ years old but I had so much fun playing them at the time and around that age. I'm sure there are games out which are similar now and wont feel too dated.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was going to seriously suggest Unreal Tournament 99. Some of my favourite memories of being 10/11 was going to my uncles house who had 4 PCs set up in a room and 4 of us would play UT99 together (Morpheus deathmatch, baby)

I dunno how much is still obtainable but there used to be a huge amount of custom assault maps out there for the game - a lot of fun played in a form of coop.

I still remember playing the game on the day of release, round after round of Overlord and suddenly it was the next morning and I'd completely lost track of time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dunno how much is still obtainable but there used to be a huge amount of custom assault maps out there for the game - a lot of fun played in a form of coop.

I still remember playing the game on the day of release, round after round of Overlord and suddenly it was the next morning and I'd completely lost track of time.

I never really got into the Assault mode. Though I did used to enjoy the map which was on a train. There were so many good custom maps way back then. One of my favourites could only be described like a micro-machines track. Essentially a kids bedroom but it was a good laugh.

I pretty much lived in CTF/DM/TDM instagib servers. Lava Giant was always one of my favourites. I used to run an 'airline service' where I would crouch on the floor and when my teammates jumped in front of me I'd shoot them and they'd be able to land on the giant bit of mass between the two bases for easy kills. Good times haha.

Soldato
some other suggestions
Private / practice gams of DOTA / LOL ? using bots or freinds

atomic bomberman

serious sam series

rayman legeonds

Necesse

raft

humns fall flat

temtem

Bloons TD 6

i was thinking an rpg would be good. - Cat Quest II / guild wars
i might have suggested Baulders gate 3 but obviously certain scenes are in appropriate
what are peoples thoughts on divity original sin 2 listed for 18

i should have asked earlier but what games are you already playing besides minecraft?
have you tried minecraft with mods? assuming your using java version
and what are her game interest

taken me an hour to find : Torchlight II

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
some other suggestions
Private / practice gams of DOTA / LOL ? using bots or freinds

atomic bomberman

serious sam series

rayman legeonds

Necesse

raft

humns fall flat

temtem

Bloons TD 6

i was thinking an rpg would be good. - Cat Quest II / guild wars
i might have suggested Baulders gate 3 but obviously certain scenes are in appropriate
what are peoples thoughts on divity original sin 2 listed for 18

i should have asked earlier but what games are you already playing besides minecraft?
have you tried minecraft with mods? assuming your using java version
and what are her game interest

taken me an hour to find : Torchlight II

We're only playing Minecraft at the mo. She was playing Roblox with friends and randomers but it became apparent quickly there a loads of ******* weirdos on that game

Soldato
yer there are a lot of... problematic.. people. dispite best efforts.

i'll add one more : vampire sirvivors/Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime/Lost Castle
on reflection i think i've included some inappropriate titles like L4D/DOTA2/LOL(last 2 becuase i dont think its easy to manage the private server side)

Roblox is such a varied platform that it can be a bit hard finding a repalcement for it.
i'd probably see about setting up some local / private servers and arranging for freinds to play in relative safety, or possibly hosting LAN parties (seems something rarely done these days with internet)

in many ways that age is so difficault as they do/dont/partially understand so much, with tastes varying and changing so much or starting to.

completley off the wall but, board/card games? its a lost art almost these days it seems.
i'd suggest possibly the nintendo route as there games have generally been very family freindly.

theres a number already posted which are good options/suggestions.
from a wide sellection of genre so i hope you manage to find some thing you think will suit your needs.
i'd be interested in hearing how your expirnece goes finding something you both ennjoy.

Associate
We're only playing Minecraft at the mo. She was playing Roblox with friends and randomers but it became apparent quickly there a loads of ******* weirdos on that game
Cheers for this, having never played it before I know nothing about it, but my niece has been asking to play it. My immediate thoughts was I'm fairly sure it's a no, but now I know it's a no.

Reactions: taB
Man of Honour
To be fair it's got a PEGI 12 rating but it made me feel a bit uneasy. To be honest they could have removed / changed that section without compromising the game it would still be awesome and have emotional impact. But I suppose they wanted to go all in on it, there's maybe only a dozen or so games I've played with such an impact, it's not the sort of thing you are expecting in a game like this.

Soldato
It Takes Two is a masterpiece. That should be at the very top of your list.

Past that pve games is what I'd be looking at... Left 4 Dead, Helldivers 2, etc. Me and my son are having an absolute blast on HD2 since it was released.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went through the Lego Harry Potter games and played quite a lot of Minecraft dungeons with my son.
Sonic and Sega Allstars racing transformed is also excellent family entertainment (and a snappy title!). As good as mariokart but runs on PC.

Back
Top Bottom