Something's dying...mobo? PSU? GPU?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Hi all,

Got an odd issue that I need help with...

Since yesterday there's been an 'electrical' buzzing noise coming from my pc, from the motherboard I think. It's not constant however, as on boot it's not there but with some games and when the oculus app is running (without loading any vr games) it's there. There's no buzzing with Civ 5 but it's there with Fear 2 and Wolfenstein.

Although I've not touched the GPU since installing it a few weeks ago (1070 ti, it's been running perfectly) I removed it just to make sure it was sitting properly. Made no difference.

If oculus running and the headset is plugged in then there's the buzzing, however if I remove either the HDMI or usb connection to the headset then it stops until I load a game.

I've run the Aida64 GPU stress test and the buzzing doesn't start.

There's generally no sound when browsing the web etc but it can start randomly.

It sounds a bit like Palpatine using force lightning, but less powerful...

I'm going to stick a mates GPU in tomorrow but it's a fairly basic one (710?) so I'm not sure if I can load up some games to try and replicate the same conditions.

The reason why I don't think it's the GPU is because it still works fine, no video/graphic corruption or artefacts but it's mainly when more power is drawn from the PSU...(although the stress test was fine...) hence I'm thinking it's one of three things. Games do seem to run fine, but the noise is worrying...

BTW, I'm running a Ryzen 1600 @ 3.75, 16gb ram. PSU is a seasonic 550 focus gold and mobo is a gigabyte ab350.

Sorry for the slightly long post but would welcome any advice.

Associate
Is this through the speakers or from the computer case itself?

Capacitors can hum under specific loads - usually it's not anything to worry about.

If it's a capacitor leaking, that's a very different sound.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
It's from the case, I've got the side panel off.

It seems to be working somewhat ok, it's restarted a few times using OCCT which it's never done before but right now both of my kids have got chicken pox so not going to have much time to look into this for a bit.

Associate
If you want to check if the PSU is behaving within spec throw a PSU tester at it for ~£10.

It won't tell you the performance under load though.

Associate
Glad you've got it sorted,

If the PSU's under warrenty send it back, otherwise dispose of it - no point hanging onto something that risks damaging anything you plug into it.

Back
Top Bottom