Son wants to learn to ride, help please

Associate
My son's decided he wants to learn to ride a motorbike, I've done some quick digging on the net but would like to check I've got the "steps" right (he's 18 btw).

1. Do a one day CBT course
  2. Then he can ride a 125cc on L plates for 2 years max
  3. Take his "main" test and can ride on a bike upto 33bhp
  4. After two years he can buy a more powerful bike

Is this the best route to go?

What sort of costs is he looking at for :-
  • CBT
  • 125cc bike
  • Helmet / Clothing
  • Insurance
  • Tax
  • Other things I've no doubt missed!

Cheers.

Soldato
* CBT = £100
* 125cc bike = £500-3k
* Helmet / Clothing = £ 300-1000
* Insurance = £300-700
* Tax = £ 15
* Other things I've no doubt missed! = lock/cover/lube etc £200

Associate
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head already but a very similar topic came up yesterday and here's what I said;

Firstly you will need to do your 1 day's 'cbt' course (compulsory basic training) and can expect to pay ~£100. A local riding school should be able to provide you with the appropriate protective clothing and a bike to do you're training on.
Assuming you're at least 21, probably the best option would be to do the 'direct access course' if not, there's quite a few other options which can all be found on here;
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...vers/index.htm

Then you will need your;

Theory test: £31, purchase the highway code and swat up, particularly if you don't already drive a car.

Module 1 Test: £15.50 + hire of school bike bike (Skills set through cones and manoeuvres basically)

Adequate training - how much training you need depends on how quickly you pick things up, and what your riding instructor recommends... much the same as learning to drive. Personally, I had four full days training and then test on Friday. To be honest I can't remember exactly how much I spend on training, somewhere in the region of £500...

Module 2 Test: £75 + hire of school bike

Once you've passed your test and you know motorcycling is for you... time to buy the gear and of course your bike
Ideally, you want Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Trousers and a Jacket... spend as much as you can afford... and in my opinion avoid second hand stuff, particularly helmets.

As for bikes, unless you're made of money, I wouldn't buy new that's for sure. The choice of bike is up to you... but if you're not 17 and plan to use it for stuff other than a commute across the city, you will be wanting to avoid 125's and move to bigger machines as you will get bored very very quickly, the ninja 250 from what I've heard is a waste of time, suzuki bandits, honda cbf's and other such steeds should see you right... myself, I went from a Honda xr125 to a Honda cbr600 and so far so good - love it.

Listed above will all be good strong first bikes and seems to be what a lot of people go for. Just go steady as you will still be learning once passed and it's easy to say your responsible but all that power is just a twist of the wrist away!

Good luck

Other than that, you can expect tax on a 125 to be ~£15 a year from memory, insurance wise... if its garaged at night and your prepared to go tpft you shouldn't get shafted too much, even so I wouldn't even like to guess a price :p :p

Soldato
My son's decided he wants to learn to ride a motorbike, I've done some quick digging on the net but would like to check I've got the "steps" right (he's 18 btw).

• CBT
  • 125cc bike
  • Helmet / Clothing
  • Insurance
  • Tax

Cheers.

about £50-100 fdepending on school[*]CBT
about £2k-5k.[*]125cc bike
about £150 helmet/£500 leathers/£100 boots/£50 gloves[*]Helmet / Clothing
125cc - not much. £1200 TPFT on my CBR600 for a firt bike.[*]Insurance
£15?[*]Tax
dunno...[*]Other things I've no doubt missed!

£1200 TPFT was dear but quite cheap £ for performance. 0-60 in about 4s and would nudge 160mph.
my first car - Orion 1.3 couldn't do that.... :D

Soldato

• CBT
  • 125cc bike
  • Helmet / Clothing
  • Insurance
  • Tax

Cheers.

only been riding for 6 weeks or so, and this is what it cost me.

CBT - £125
Bike - £4k (yamaha YZF R125) brand new, you can pick up old cg's and the like for 500 quid or less if your lucky.
Helmet - £85, Boots £100, Textile trousers and jacket - £200, gloves - £40.
Insurance - mine is about £350 p/a TPFT.
Tax - a whopping £15 a year.
Petrol - so far done a bit over 400 miles and used about a tank and a quarter costing me a massive £13 or so.

Hope that is of some use.

As he's only 18 thats pretty much the only route to go as he's not old enough to do DAS, so that is most likely the best way to go, as long as he re-does his CBT every two years he can keep riding on L Plates indefinately.

Soldato
I passed my CBT back in July. I ended up buying a CBR125 and kit, it cost me about 3k in total. The bike was £2k, insurance was £400, CBT was £90, helmet was £200, boots were £100 and spent the rest on tax, gloves, trousers and jacket.

Soldato

• CBT
  • 125cc bike
  • Helmet / Clothing
  • Insurance
  • Tax

Cheers.

My advice is keep him on a 125cc for as long as possible. If I had got onto anything real fast at that age, i'd of almost certainly killed myself. :(

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Plenty of 125's for sale with real low mileage for less than 1500 quid. I know of a Yamaha 125 super moto with around 800 miles on it for 1400 quid or a Suzuki Marauder with 8k up it for a 1000. Older Aprilias can be had for under 1500 quid as well, They will more than likely be full power as well but will need rebuilding regularly, Damn quick for a 1T though. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom