Son won some PC goodies - need help :)

Soldato
As per title, my son has the following (old!) system:

Omen by HP Intel i5 8GB 1TB 128GB SSD GTX1060, 500w PSU.

He has won:

1. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8GB Ada Lovelace Graphics Card
2. Cooler Master 27" Quad HD 180Hz Adaptive Sync Monitor
3. Razer BlackWidow V4 Pro Razer Green Switch Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
4. Razer Cobra Pro Lightweight HyperSpeed Wireless/Wired RGB Gaming Mouse

His intention is to replace his old Graphics card with the new one, will the new card run on his system? I don't want to blow anything :(

Last edited:
Associate
Firstly congrats to your son, free PC goodies are always good!

A little bit of digging around suggests the new card will draw around 45W more and stock power supplies in the likes of HP's can be pretty close to the limit to keep their costs down.

You can get a 600W PSU from OcUK for about £45 including shipping.

It's a little hard to be able to give a complete answer without knowing the processor part number.

Soldato
The 4060 Ti only draws 160W, so you should be fine with a 500W PSU. You just need to ensure that there are suitable power connectors. If this card uses a 12VHPWR connector, be sure to fit it correctly and not bend it unduly.

Soldato
OP
Processor speed 2.8 GHz
Processor family 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-8400 (2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 9 MB cache, 6 cores)3 2

This is from the spec sheet.

Agreed the PSU should be sufficient, but i would like to upgrade the RAM - help please!

Man of Honour
Agreed the PSU should be sufficient, but i would like to upgrade the RAM - help please!
open the computer up to see how many sticks of ram there are
if there's only 1 stick then any random 8gb ddr4 2400 stick will be fine (to make 2x 8gb sticks)
if it's 2x 4gb then you'll need to buy a whole set

in addition, would probably get a bigger ssd than that measly 128gb it comes with lol

Soldato
OP
and a new ssd :p

ps: that's an i5 7400 not an 8th gen cpu, so only quad core

would get something better that would not bottleneck a 4060ti tbh
Care to spec me a CPU?

Yeah the SSD is small, but he's happy and it's working - he's a poor student. Although he won the bundle using his PC at an e-sport tournament!

Last edited:
Soldato
Your son sounds like a right legend lol. Love how many threads you make about him!

I'd just throw the graphics card in and see how he goes. It is a pain to upgrade OEM systems and for not much more he could probably grab a new CPU/mobo/RAM combo from the members market.

Man of Honour
Care to spec me a CPU?
yes, but not really. the best would be a 7700, which is not worth the cost (still a quad core albeit now with hyperthreading).
that rig is end-of-life whenever you/kid wants to upgrade...just chuck the 1060 back in and sell as a whole and carry the 4060ti forward into the new rig

t is a pain to upgrade OEM systems and for not much more he could probably grab a new CPU/mobo/RAM combo from the members market.
this

Soldato
OP
Your son sounds like a right legend lol. Love how many threads you make about him!

I'd just throw the graphics card in and see how he goes. It is a pain to upgrade OEM systems and for not much more he could probably grab a new CPU/mobo/RAM combo from the members market.

I don't mind changing stick, cards etc, but a cpu is beyond me. I'd **** it up no doubt.

Soldato
OP
Well goodies have arrived!

GPU doesn't spin up or display - now i've got into the PC, it's only a 300w PSU :(

I'm not confident enough to change a PSU and the local PC shop want £75 + the part cost to fit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Changing a PSU isn't too hard. Once you've done it once, you wouldn't be scared of it. That said I do understand trepidation.

I would suggest, however, that paying that amount plus parts may not be financially worth it for that system.

Soldato
Well goodies have arrived!

GPU doesn't spin up or display - now i've got into the PC, it's only a 300w PSU :(

I'm not confident enough to change a PSU and the local PC shop want £75 + the part cost to fit.
Maybe look online at some videos on how to do it.

Failing that take pictures of where the cables etc all go at the moment so when the old PSU is removed you know where to connect the new ones.

Back
Top Bottom