Son's PC build revisited - from Christmas 2018

Associate
OP
You might be able to trace the cable to the front and see where it connects. Is there any other front header cables ? You usually have ones like reset and power led etc but it depends on the case in question.

Ok, thank you. I will have a good look this weekend when I have a bit more time to trace the cables. I planned to check the cables tonight, but have been crazy busy since I got home with other things!

On the front of the case it has the following:

Power switch (1No)
USB 3.0 (2No)
USB 3.1 (1No)
HD audio jacks (2No)

There doesn't seem to be a HDD activity light on the front? But I was wondering if it lights up behind the power switch, will be a very small light source though as the switch surround is snug against the switch itself.

Associate
OP
@marco.da.man

If its an MSI board, razor lighting can be controlled via MSI own software, if another brand then has to go through razor own software

The RGb lighting for this case is set as below. I will have to try and post some pictures when I have time over the weekend;

Behind the motherboard tray and just in front of the PSU mount there is a RGB control board / hub fixed to the bottom of the case. 3No cables are plugged into the hub and routed to the RGB lights on the front and underside of the case. From the hub there is a USB 2.0 plug to go to the motherboard.

I was wondering about this and if its not being plugged into a MSI motherboard? Would it work on any motherboard using that brands lighting software rather than Razers? or is there something in the case RGB hub that only makes it work with Razer software?

Associate
OP
little curve ball and a 2700x ive added a monitor and keyboard in for suggestion, of course if you add the extra cooling into the case you need to take this into mind as a budget alert, take the 2 extra's out it comes to £1161.03

I know you have brought case already, but added as total guide line

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,426.91 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Hi marco.da.man

Thank you for the parts list, that's really helpful;

The monitor and keyboard I know I can definitely take out of the equation at the minute as those will be Christmas and birthday presents. For the time being I am going to get a cheap a keyboard and use his LCD TV for a monitor.

He was really happy with the free Razer mouse that came with the case and I know he is after the Corsair RGB pro fans for air cooling (in your list). I cant believe how expensive those things are! I think I might go with 6 fans at the minute for the side and bottom. I hope this will be enough for air cooling until I can afford the fans for the top?

I have got an idea for the parts I a want now, but am just about to log off so will run that by you guys hopefully tomorrow night if that's ok?

I was looking at your suggestions of the Ryzen 7 2700x or the Ryzen 7 2700. He is not going to overclock and I read that the power usage of the 2700x was a lot more that the 2700. The other night the price difference between the two cpus was only £20, but now its £51 and I probably should have got the 2700x at that time. Would there be much difference if I went for the 2700 rather than the 2700x taking into account the power usage? I am also trying to future proof for as long as possible so as not to upgrade for sometime.

Soldato
The RGb lighting for this case is set as below. I will have to try and post some pictures when I have time over the weekend;

Behind the motherboard tray and just in front of the PSU mount there is a RGB control board / hub fixed to the bottom of the case. 3No cables are plugged into the hub and routed to the RGB lights on the front and underside of the case. From the hub there is a USB 2.0 plug to go to the motherboard.

I was wondering about this and if its not being plugged into a MSI motherboard? Would it work on any motherboard using that brands lighting software rather than Razers? or is there something in the case RGB hub that only makes it work with Razer software?

MSI own lighting is only one that will work native. Any other vendor and you'll need to install razor software

Associate
OP
Hi,

I have come up with a parts list for my son's PC build, please can you have a look and see if the parts are compatible with each other / will have no problems. Thank you.

I have gone for Corsair and Sapphire, mainly because I have used these in the past and haven't had any problems. I also appreciate that they are not the cheapest.

He's not going to overclock, PC will mainly be for games, streaming and YouTube video posts. I might use his PC for 3D rendering and CAD from time to time;

I haven't been able to figure out how to post the parts images like you guys do - It's taken me all morning just to get the links on and sorted!!

My basket at Overclockers UKhttps://www.overclockers.co.uk/
Total = £1201.93 (not including shipping of £11.70)

I have yet to choose the following, which will add about another £200 not including the graphics card option. So for everything i am in my budget of about £1500 (not including the case)
  • SSD - not sure I will need one, is there any benefit just for Windows o/s to load faster? Never used a SSD before
  • HDD - haven't been able to find at Overclockers = Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000M008 (7200 rpm)
  • Windows 10 o/s - cheapest way (on disc? download? OEM?)
  • Thermal paste - not sure if I need this as I think the CPU comes with it pre-applied?
Not sure how i will get the included drivers and operating system from disc's onto the HDD / SDD without a temporary CD drive? Will i need to get one?

Graphics card option:

It's more expensive by £71, but do you think the Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 would be better than the Sapphire Radeon RX 590 Nitro that I have in my basket? Would there be much of a difference to warrant the price?

Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Pulse-8gb = £289.99

The RGB side of this build:

He likes the Corsair fans and will probably also need a fan controller as I don't think the motherboard has enough headers for it. I haven't priced for this is yet.

The RGB memory was only £10 more than the standard, so that's why I have gone with the RGB version.

Case and mouse (already have):

Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic Razer Edition Case + Mouse = £161.69 (Includes shipping)

Thank you

Associate
I'd say absolutely for Vega 56 over the RX590. Generally based from user benchmarks it performs 37% better than the 590.

Also 100% get an SSD, even if it's just for the boot drive but you can get a 250gb one fairly cheap now. Makes a world of difference.

Man of Honour
if you're not going to overclock/tweak, suggest getting a 2700x and 2070 instead.
the wingboost 3 set comes with splitters for the fans and the rgb. (review - use google translate: https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/luefter/alpenfoehn_wing_boost_3_rgb/s01.php )
but the board only has 1x 3 pin 5v rgb header, so you'll need to use a rgb hub (specced).
please note that there are 2 different kinds of rgb headers - 4 pin 12v headers and 3 pin 5v headers - these are not cross-compatible

Total: £1,257.62 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd say absolutely for Vega 56 over the RX590. Generally based from user benchmarks it performs 37% better than the 590.

Also 100% get an SSD, even if it's just for the boot drive but you can get a 250gb one fairly cheap now. Makes a world of difference.

Thank you, I think I will go for a SSD like you said as they aren't that expensive. Also thanks for the advice on the graphics card, I think I can stretch a little bit extra for that.

Associate
OP
@tamzzy is a shame the Wing 3s are as nice as the 2nd gen ones were.. can vouch for them all day long. Hope these can surpass it and RGB is a nice touch .

Can I ask a few questions about the wires and power switch on your Lian-Li PC-011 case please?

See picture below for the Razer edition of the leads on my case.

You will also have to excuse me if I get this wrong as I am basing this on the wiring of my 11 year old Lian-Li case. So things might have changed since!

My Son's case only has a power lead, it didn't come with a power reset lead, chassis speaker or drive activity lead / light (like it did with my old case)

On your Lian-Li PC-011 case;
  • Can you power reset from the front switch? If not where can you do this?
  • Where are the drive activity lights? behind the surround for the power switch?
  • What about the post beeps? is that built into your motherboard or did you buy a chassis speaker?
  • How do I achieve the above if my case wiring does not have the leads for the motherboard connection? (Perhaps the drive activity might be linked to the case RGB strip lights and I might need to buy a chassis speaker?)
Wiring included on my Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic Razer edition case:

leads.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
if you're not going to overclock/tweak, suggest getting a 2700x and 2070 instead.
the wingboost 3 set comes with splitters for the fans and the rgb. (review - use google translate: https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/luefter/alpenfoehn_wing_boost_3_rgb/s01.php )
but the board only has 1x 3 pin 5v rgb header, so you'll need to use a rgb hub (specced).
please note that there are 2 different kinds of rgb headers - 4 pin 12v headers and 3 pin 5v headers - these are not cross-compatible

Total: £1,257.62 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Thank you for the list, I will take a look into that and also for the heads up on the rgb header pins.

I was originally looking to buy the Ryzen 7 2700x, but changed my mind as I read that It drew a lot more power than the 2700. That was my only reason really and that he's not going to overclock. I have missed out on the recent price drop, so it might be out of my range now? I am planning on ordering the parts in a few weeks, my car is in for a service and MOT this Saturday and hopefully it wont be any more than quoted! Once I've got that out of the way then I can look at getting the parts for my son.

Man of Honour
I will take a look into that
as specced, you can get a lot more value for money by dropping your requirements for corsair and sapphire. as you say, they aren't the cheapest and there's other brands that do the job for a lot less.
that saving will allow you to get a massively better GPU (rtx 2070). the reason for opting for a 2070 vs a vega 64 is that you sound unlikely to want to play with the settings, so out of the box, 2070 does a better job than vega 56/64.

just how good is the rtx 2070?
raYfoeG.png

but changed my mind as I read that It drew a lot more power than the 2700. That was my only reason really and that he's not going to overclock.
:confused: not quite sure i follow that line of reasoning. 2700x doesn't draw a lot more power than the 2700.
sure it draws more power than the 2700, but that's because the 2700x's out-of-box clocks are higher than the 2700.
2700 = 3.2ghz base clock, 4.1ghz boost clock
2700x = 3.7ghz base clock, 4.35ghz boost clock

if they're both overclocked, on average, they'll draw the same power (perhaps the 2700x slightly less, as it's in general a better binned chip!)
hence the reason why the 2700x makes more sense if not overclocking. just set the offset voltage to -0.05 to -0.1v and let PB2/XFR2/PBO do the rest.
also the 2700x has the better boxed cooler.

I have missed out on the recent price drop
have a look at the rainforest, it's nearly £50 cheaper than OCUK's prices.

Associate
OP
as specced, you can get a lot more value for money by dropping your requirements for corsair and sapphire. as you say, they aren't the cheapest and there's other brands that do the job for a lot less.
that saving will allow you to get a massively better GPU (rtx 2070). the reason for opting for a 2070 vs a vega 64 is that you sound unlikely to want to play with the settings, so out of the box, 2070 does a better job than vega 56/64.

:confused: not quite sure i follow that line of reasoning. 2700x doesn't draw a lot more power than the 2700.
sure it draws more power than the 2700, but that's because the 2700x's out-of-box clocks are higher than the 2700.
2700 = 3.2ghz base clock, 4.1ghz boost clock
2700x = 3.7ghz base clock, 4.35ghz boost clock

if they're both overclocked, on average, they'll draw the same power (perhaps the 2700x slightly less, as it's in general a better binned chip!)
hence the reason why the 2700x makes more sense if not overclocking. just set the offset voltage to -0.05 to -0.1v and let PB2/XFR2/PBO do the rest.
also the 2700x has the better boxed cooler.

Thank you. I understand what you are saying about using cheaper parts and you are right that we are not planning on overclocking or messing about with the settings. But, if I do decide to go down the Corsair and Radeon route, regardless of value for money. Do you think my spec will be ok / have any problems?

I read that the Ryzen 7 uses 65w whereas the 2700x uses 105w out of the box, so I was basing it on power usage rather than performance.

Can you see the leads picture I posted a few messages back? It seems to be appearing on my pc but not all the time and not on a mobile or tablet?

Man of Honour
But, if I do decide to go down the Corsair and Radeon route, regardless of value for money.
my opinion is that you're wasting your money. but thankfully, it's your money, not mine.

Do you think my spec will be ok / have any problems?
it will work together, but as i've said, it won't be as good as parts picked specifically for price/performance.
and also, vega requires a lot of tinkering around the edges to get the best out of it. so you may have to contend with that too.

I read that the Ryzen 7 uses 65w whereas the 2700x uses 105w out of the box, so I was basing it on power usage rather than performance.
think of the -x series as pre-overclocked CPUs (with a better boxed cooler), with potentially better silicon.

Can you see the leads picture I posted a few messages back? It seems to be appearing on my pc but not all the time and not on a mobile or tablet?
page cannot be found. use imgur instead.

Back
Top Bottom