Sony A6400 or Fujifilm X-T30 or ...?

Soldato
Hi,

My wife and I would like to take better photos and videos of our kids than what our potato Samsung phones can provide. I've narrowed down the choices to a potential Sony A6400 or a Fuji X-T30.

Criteria:
- Pick up and go camera (we don't want a DSLR) with nice photos straight out of the camera (post-processing optional, but not needed) [some say that the Fuji is the best for its color science]
- Camera needs to be particularly good for photos and videos of people, people with landscapes (e.g. at a beach), and landscapes alone [some say that the Fuji is the best for photos of people but not great for landscapes]
- Good autofocus that's easy to use for newbies [some say that the Sony's AF is the best but the Fuji's is okay]
- Good for (short) videos (we don't think that the 10 minute video limit on the Fuji will be an issue)
- Good for burst shooting (for example, capturing my son riding his bike)

I've read a lot about the horrible rolling shutter on the Sony A6x00 series. Would a gimbal or some other stabilization help with that? If so, which one?

I've read that the Fuji X-T30 can be hard to grip and some folks recommend adding a SmallRig Cage to the camera. Is this a good idea?

In addition to a camera body, I'd like to ask for a recommendation for a good lens for the camera. Some seem to say that the 18-55 on the Sony is good, and the 16-55 on the Fuji is good too. I'd like to have the option of taking photos of my kids with a shallow depth of field, even if that means having to buy two lenses (for example, the 16mm f1.4 Sigma for the Sony).

Thanks,
Jon

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I have the Fuji and it's brilliant. The handling and controls are a real pleasure to use. I have the 18-55 as my walk about lens and the 35 1.4 for lower light / portrait / indoor photos. Combo is excellent. I haven't used it for video but DPReview covered it and were impressed with the video capabilities.

olv

olv

Soldato
I’m a long term Fuji user so that’s where my vote would go. You’ll get better jpegs straight out of the camera. I’m also predominately a street/landscape photographer and have never noticed the funny green artefacts that the X trans sensors can sometimes produce. It’s a non issue.

worth bearing in mind that a 16mm 1.4 wouldn’t give you the bokeh you have in mind for portraiture, it’s just too wide, the subject will have to be really close to the camera and the distortion will not be flattering.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea, I mean it's doable with the 16mm 1.4 but it isn't as straight forward. I'd go with the 35 1.4 or the 56 1.2 for lovely portraits.

Soldato
I've had an a6000 and now own an xt2. If you don't want to spend time editing, go with the fuji. The film simulation modes can give some really nice results straight out of camera with just a crop. The 18-55 2.8-4 is very good for a kit lens also providing you stay below about 48mm and even at 55 it's ok. You will want a prime for portraits, 35mm is good for all round use. If you're looking at reviews, take into consideration updated firmware. It can make a very noticeable difference to performance, in particular autofocus. Fuji are normally good with this and reviews early on will generally be on release firmware.

It's worth spending some time reading up on how to use a camera without auto focus. Once you have the basics, you can apply them to any shot and you will almost always get better results providing your knowledge is sound (ignoring eye auto focus as it's magic/cheating).

Last edited:
Associate
Have you considered an RX100? I have the mkiii and it takes much better photos than a Samsung phone. It's not up there with with a compact system camera but they're groovy. I have an A6000 and an RX100iii and I generally take the RX100 out if I can't be bothered with a bag for the full frame.

Associate
Hi Jon,
From your criteria, it seems like both the Sony A6400 and Fuji X-T30 could be great options for you. However, considering your needs, I would highly recommend the Fuji X-T30. The notable advantage of this camera is its incredible color science that produces natural-looking skin tones and pleasing colors, which is perfect for taking photos and videos of people - one of your main criteria.

Some people have commented that the X-T30 may not perform the best for landscapes. However, with its easy-to-use autofocus and burst shooting ability, the camera is great for capturing fast-moving scenes such as your son riding his bike.

It's understandable to have concerns about the grip and stabilization. The SmallRig Cage would be a great addition to enhance the grip, but if you're starting out, there's no need to spend on a gimbal or other stabilizers for now.

Regarding lenses, the 16-55mm lens on the X-T30 is an exceptional all-purpose lens suitable for most shooting situations. But, should you want to capture portraits or shots with a shallower depth of field, the 16mm f1.4 Sigma prime lens would be a perfect complement.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Associate
another vote for Fuji. - I had a A6000 and moved to a Fuji X-T2. I have the XF 16-55 lens and just added a Fuji prime.

One of the features I love about Fujis is the exposure dials, including aperture rings as standard on the lenses.

I found the Sony great as a point and shoot, but the Fuji much more fun and engaging. Obviously the models I used aren't exactly the same, but video specs aside, the form factor and feel is similar to your comparison.

Sony autofocus is very good, however all the other aspects of Fuji have made up for it in my experience.

There's a cheesy saying that Sony make the best cameras engineers can make, and Fuji make the best cameras photographers can make ( I think I've murdered the wording).

-- If you want great images and videos straight out the camera I believe Fuji will excel on Jpg image quality+colour vs Sony.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom