Sony A6600, Fuji XT 3 or?

Man of Honour
Got totally fed up lumbering my dslr around with the lenses and fancied a change. I want something much smaller. I don’t mind changing the lenses I just don’t want the bulk. That said I’m not totally against a point and click zoom either.

I like portrait and landscape.

my short list is the Sony A6600, the Fuji XT 3 or maybe even the Sony RX100 VII.

what do you guys think?

Man of Honour
OP
Occasionally but not often in low light. I like beach landscapes which I’ve been taking recently after 10pm up here in Scotland and it’s still light. Different story during the winter :)

the camera I have recently sold is the Nikon d7500 just to give you a comparison.

Man of Honour
OP
I’m thinking second hand Fuji XE 3 with a 18 55 maybe? Keeps the spend under £1k and should be sufficient. I’d like a wider lens too for the beautiful scenery round here but I may wait and see how it pans out. I’m not sure about Fuji lenses at all tbh.

the Sony looks like an excellent choice but after owning a d7500 I’m not sure a compact would keep my interest for long and I definitely can’t afford both.

Man of Honour
OP
So guys, for me, I think it's going to be Fuji. Hearing lots of praise about them. Fits the bill perfectly really, and nice and compact. But which one, and which lens? There are so many. It's daunting. I still like the look of the XT-3. I also still like the look of the XE-3, even though that is 3-4 years old now. If I go second hand, I can get more for my money. The AF concerns me a bit, as does lack of IS, or should it? Do the lenses handle IS?

Man of Honour
OP
Still undecided. Maybe dare I say, back to the drawing board.

I’m slightly reluctant to spend big on an older camera, but as importantly I’ve been reading the menu system on the xe 3 is diabolical and I’ve got very big hands. The buttons are tiny apparently. I’ve also read the AF is pretty poor in comparison to what I’ve had before..

For all the positives of owning a small camera am i shooting myself in the foot?

Man of Honour
OP
I hear you.. there’s always a compromise which I’m prepared to accept to a point, but reading Ken Rockwell’s review has definitely put me off lol..

The XT 3 is still smaller than what I had before, but it’s a bit over what I’m comfortable paying to be honest. So I need to do more research, but I do end up going in circles..

Man of Honour
OP
Hey thanks a lot some really good info there. I had obviously seen the XT200 pop up in my search but because there are simply so many choices I had overlooked this little gem.

definitely worthy of further consideration that touch screen is awesome.

can see that model at one rather generic site for £599, otherwise it’s £749

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Quite excited now.. I think it’s due to me tomorrow at some point via Royal Mail. I’ve also been reading up about the menu system, that ken Rockwell seems to absolutely hate the Fuji setup. Apparently most functionality can be set by the touch screen which is fine by me on a smaller camera, so we will see.

Back
Top Bottom