Sony KD-55XE9005 or something else

Soldato
Coming from a 55w905 and to the 55XE9005 the picture is stunning, HDR on Altered Carbon in the night scenes is fantastic and blows away the 58DX802 Panasonic I had before. So far very happy, takes a long time to initially boot into android and its not the fastest OS ever but its not particularly bad either.

Soldato
I have a 49" 9005. It's really good, perfect for 4K HDR gaming/netflix/amazon. Only a couple of annoyances - The quality display isn't great when viewed from an angle and the Android TV is slow and often unresponsive.

Soldato
I have a 49" 9005. It's really good, perfect for 4K HDR gaming/netflix/amazon. Only a couple of annoyances - The quality display isn't great when viewed from an angle and the Android TV is slow and often unresponsive.

The 9005 will display HDR on Netflix whereas the 9305 will pick up the same shows/movies but with the Dolby Vision Flag as Netflix offer both types of HDR.

The 9005 has the slower processor (one of the reasons I complained to Sony / had a full refund was for this reason and that Amazon was a stuttering mess in 4k, however I had the 8 series TV which shares the same processor as the 9005)

VA panels (both the 9005 and 9305 have this type) are terrible for off angle viewing (blacks turn grey, colours saturate) but offer the best blacks when viewed from directly in front (30 degrees max off angle If I recall)

The 9305 is better suited to the OS as it has the stronger Extreme processor which is shared with the ZD9.

Don't get me wrong the 9005 is a fantastic TV for the price but if the OP can pick up the 9305 for a little more it's more future proof. Why Sony didn't add the FALD of the 9005 to the 9305 is just strange as that would make the 9305 the perfect choice.

Associate
OP
I have just got back from picking up the XE9305 managed to get the last boxed on in store. While I was there another branch rang up looking to get it for a customer. So I think i timed it well!

Managed to get it for 1168 after they knocked 30 quid off it

Looking forward to setting it up tonight.

Soldato
I might still wait for the Panasonic fx740 full array, ips panel ~£1K

should have the better tone mapping, motion, and build quality that would also make the Panasonic oled my choice at the £1.5K 'premium' point (few owner comments in OC)

... that's for when my renewal cycle comes round, and current Pan reaches eol.

Pan still don't subsribe to DV, if you have good frame by frame hdr brightness analysis, HDR10, HLG - is it needed ?

Soldato
indeed general resurgence in ips panels .. are these all LG's nano IPS ?

First surprise, Panasonic 2018 Ultra HD LED TVs feature an IPS panel, including the high-end FX780 model. We could be disappointed, as many of us prefer the VA slabs for their higher contrast ratio. However, Panasonic opts for latest-generation IPS panels, capable of delivering a higher native contrast than their older counterparts, while maintaining an excellent viewing angle, and a beautiful colorimetry. Recall that at Sony too, 2018 Ultra HD LED TVs have an IPS panel (XF8505, XF8596 ...), except the high-end series XF9005 which is based on a VA panel. For its part, Philips also opts for IPS on its high-end LED TVs

Soldato
I have just got back from picking up the XE9305 managed to get the last boxed on in store. While I was there another branch rang up looking to get it for a customer. So I think i timed it well!

Managed to get it for 1168 after they knocked 30 quid off it

Looking forward to setting it up tonight.

Good price. I paid £200 more and don't regret at all.
AV Forums have a number of threads covering this TV - including some good starting points for picture setup.

Soldato
indeed general resurgence in ips panels .. are these all LG's nano IPS ?
Probably since LG themselves are doing something similar. I actually have a direct back lit LED IPS full HD TV in one of the bedrooms, which is the Panasonic AS800. It has a native contrast of about 2000:1 which is extremely good for an IPS panel. The uniformity is almost perfect, so I can see why they trying it again in 4K.

Associate
OP
I setup the new TV with my PS4 (Non Pro) last night running Assassins Creed Origins and my word it was amazing. Very impressed so far and not even tried any 4K content on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom